Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance Program
Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) issues increasingly pervade higher education information technology. As institutional investment in IT and reliance on information systems have grown, so has the need for reliable structures and measures to ensure success and minimize failure.
IT GRC programs develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of an institution's IT programs. This framework can be used by IT staff to ensure that their programs support and enable the institution's strategic objectives. The EDUCAUSE IT GRC program provides resources that help you define and implement IT GRC activities on your own campus.
A member advisory board, member working groups, and representatives from complementary organizations advise EDUCAUSE in the development of best practices, toolkits, and case studies. EDUCAUSE-conducted research will benchmark how higher education institutions are currently approaching IT GRC practices. New resources will be added to this page as they are developed.
To learn more or to contribute to the higher education IT GRC body of knowledge, contact us at GRC@educause.edu
- IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Study, June 2014. This study benchmarks how higher education institutions are approaching IT GRC practices. (ECAR Subscription Required)
- The Foundations of a High-Performance ITS Organization, EDUCAUSE Live! May 2014. This webinar explores how to develop a framework for an IT strategic planning process and implement it, how to design a governance structure for Project Portfolio Management and implement a PPM model, and how to implement a process to craft vision and mission statements for the organization.
- Supporting Information Governance through Records and Information Management, ECAR Research Bulletin, April 2014. This research bulletin explains how information governance is at the core of a RIM program and how IT interests in information governance can be better supported by having a RIM program.
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance: Why Now? EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) programs intend to develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of the institution's IT areas to ensure that those areas support and enable the institution's strategic objectives.
- Speaking the Same Language: Building a Data Governance Program for Institutional Impact, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Starting the Conversation: University-wide Research Data Management Policy, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Boston University Information Services and Technology Governance Model, October 10, 2013,
- Making the Case for the Information Strategy, ECAR Bulletin. September 6, 2011.
- Leading the Higher Education IT Organization: Six Building Blocks of Success, EDUCAUSE Review, May 31, 2011.
- Making IT Governance Work, ECAR Bulletin, October 5, 2010.
- Decentralized IT Governance and Policy in Higher Education, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 10, 2009.
- Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Report, July 21, 2008.
- Queensland University of Technology: Three Generations of IT Governance (and Counting), ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008.
- Reforming IT Governance at Berkeley: Introducing an Enterprise Perspective to a Decentralized Organization, ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008
- From 2004-2012 IT governance was in various positions of the EDUCAUSE top ten issues, http://www.educause.edu/educause/visualizations/vis1/index.html
- Developing A Comprehensive Privacy Program: A Step-By-Step Guide, Daniel Solove, NACUA. December 2013
- Leveraging Enterprise Risk Management: Opportunity for Greater Relevance, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Even though enterprise risk management (ERM) engages the entire higher education institution, IT organizations have an opportunity to use ERM to move beyond a services function toward providing strategic value to the institution.
- Learning While Doing: Two Institutions’ Practical IT Risk Management Experiences, ECAR Research Bulletin, July 29, 2013.
- Top-10 IT Issues, Policy Implications, and Managing Risk, EDUCAUSE Blog, June 24, 2013.
- IT Risk Management: Try This Exercise at Your Institution, EDUCAUSE Review Online, June 30, 2013.
- IT Risk Management Poll Results, April 2013.
- Managing IT Risk in Higher Education: A Methodology, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 18, 2008.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Risk Management" page
- New Year, New Challenges: Preparing Your Campus for Data Privacy and Security Issues in the Year Ahead, EDUCAUSE/NACUA Webinar. December 2013.
- Higher Education IT Compliance through the Prism of Risk Controls,EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Only through collaborative compliance and risk discussions can appropriate decisions be made about both the everyday activities and the transformative new technologies that are or will be available to the higher education institution of 2020.
- Higher Education Information Security Council, Information Security Guide, Compliance Chapter, EDUCAUSE/Internet2
- Privacy, Security, and Compliance: Strange Bedfellows, or a Marriage Made in Heaven?, EDUCAUSE Review, January 28, 2013.
- The Policy Process Life Cycle, EDUCAUSE Review, March 20, 2009.
- Higher Education Compliance Alliance, was created by the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), in partnership with thirty other higher education associations, to provide the higher education community with a centralized repository of information and resources for compliance with federal laws and regulations.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Compliance" page
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for IT Governance
- Increasing Awareness of the Value of IT
October 16, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
Actions resulting from a revised governance structure, a new strategic plan, and the reallocation of staff resources led to the creation of an IT Communications group at the University of Florida…
- Improving Transparency, Relationships, and IT Decision Making through a Campus-Wide Governance and Strategic Planning Process
October 16, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
For the past two years, Yale has developed and implemented a new governance structure that supports our overall goal to improve customer satisfaction, increase transparency, and improve IT decision…
- The EDUCAUSE 2011 Core Data Service Report: Highlights and Insights into Higher Education Information Technology
January 31, 2012
Authors: Susan Grajek , Vice President for Data, Research, and Analytics, EDUCAUSE Pam Arroway , Senior Statistician, EDUCAUSE This report summarizes results from the 2011 EDUCAU…
- Developing an Information Strategy
October 24, 2011
Terry Hanson ( T.Hanson@brighton.ac.uk ) is Director of Information Services at the University of Brighton. Comments on this article can be posted to the web via the link at the bottom o…
- Connecting Student Data from ECAR and CDS
September 29, 2011
This CDS Spotlight focuses on integrating selected data from the 2010 CDS survey results with selected results of the ECAR National Study of Students and Information Technology in Higher Educat…
- Highlights of the 2011 ECAR Symposium: IT as a Game Changer
September 21, 2011
This ECAR research bulletin presents highlights from the 2011 ECAR Symposium, held July 28–29 in Chicago, Illinois. In addition to a synthesis of keynote talks by Doug Lynch, University of Pen…
- Making the Case for the Information Strategy
September 6, 2011
Whether improving access to learning resources and research collections, developing management information systems to support decision making, or facilitating better communication, the informa…
- Delivering the Dual Mission of University IT
July 28, 2011
Presentation at the 2011 ECAR Symposium, July 28, 2011, in Chicago, Illinois. University IT departments have evolved organically, but the time has come to purposefully organize to support the du…
- Common Enterprise Applications for the University of Wisconsin System
June 24, 2011
Key Takeaways System-wide governance , a project management office, a 10-year roadmap , and a rigorous budget process have been critical to the success of common enterpr…
- Top-Ten IT Issues, 2011
May 31, 2011
Bret L. Ingerman ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) is Chair of the 2011 EDUCAUSE Current Issues Committee and is Vice President for Computing and Information Services at Vassar College. Catherine Yang…