Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Today’s IT organization must be resilient and visionary. To thrive in today's fast-paced environment, leaders at all levels of the IT organization, from the CIO to the help desk, must embrace everyday challenges while planning for the future. This collection of resources was created to help institutions prepare current and future leaders for the ever-changing higher education environment.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2014 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review May/June 2015)
- Gathering No Moss: Followership and Leadership A successful leader must first know how to follow.
- Modeling Leadership All leadership models have pros and cons; successful leaders will develop their own model and their own style.
- Leading as an Intentional Journey Leadership may not start out as a destination, but for successful leaders, it becomes an intentional journey.
- Planning the IT Career You Want The wide range and scope of careers within higher education information technology requires active planning for the career that is right for you.
- Technology in Higher Education: Defining the Strategic Leader IT is simultaneously more challenging, relevant, and exciting than ever; leading IT requires unique characteristics and capabilities. But what qualities make for a successful IT leader in this environment?
The Chief Information Officer in Higher Education, 2014 Reports, CHECS, July 2014. This study provides information about higher education CIOs’ attributes, education, experience, and effectiveness and about the technology professionals who are likely to replace these CIOs.
Challenge Accepted! Why CIO Is the Best Job on Campus, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 21st, 2014. In our inaugural transmedia piece, EDUCAUSE asks the question, is the CIO position the pinnacle of a technology career—or a powerless position? Five CIOs tell us why they think they have the best job on campus.
Filling the IT Leadership Pipeline: A Panel Discussion, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2012. Six CIOs and senior technology leaders talk about their backgrounds, the strengths and skills needed for future CIOs, and the challenges of preparing the next generation of CIOs. They list the most critical competencies for current and future CIOs, and they debate whether these competencies are changing.
Aspiring and Residing IT Leaders: A Legacy for the Future, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2012. Keith McIntosh, winner of the inaugural EDUCAUSE Rising Star Award talks about becoming a leader and developing future leaders in the IT professional community. He outlines three steps that aspiring leaders can take to cultivate their leadership skills and three steps that residing leaders can take to leave a lasting legacy.
The Higher Education CIO: Portrait of Today, Landscape of Tomorrow, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2011. This webinar highlights findings from a study of the same name from the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR).
Institution Leadership Programs
The Pennsylvania State University’s “IT Connects” IT leadership skill development program.
EDUCAUSE Professional Development – below is a list of Institute Programs, including audience and program objectives
- A CIO, librarian, information technology professional, or administrator with a least seven years’ experience
- To learn how to create a collaborative community that takes leadership on critical issues to develop a platform for collective action
- An IT professional new to or aspiring to management
- Outlines the basic skills critical for management and supervision of projects, units and people
- Existing manager with some supervisory experience
- Practical skill development in effective management
- New CIO or an experienced senior-level leader aspiring to CIO/executive-level leadership
- Critical success skills for executive leaders & keys to understanding institution-wide IT strategy
- Experienced individual in a learning technology position who aspires to a leadership role
- To understand higher education leadership, attributes of effective leaders, and strategic skills for influencing decision-making
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Leadership Development
- Podcast: Change Literacy in Higher Education
June 2, 2015
Jim Russell from Manhattanville College and Victoria Khazan from Hands-On Change discuss how to estimate change readiness from the smallest department to the largest organization. Jennifer Sparro…
- CNI Podcast: Mobile Technologies to Support Field Research
May 27, 2015
A conversation with Wayne Johnston, head of Research Enterprise & Scholarly Communication at the University of Guelph. CNI15-Wa…
- Podcast: 6 Questions for Diana Oblinger
May 11, 2015
EDUCAUSE President and CEO, Diana Oblinger, talks about the future of higher education IT. …
- Building Consortia for Smaller Colleges
February 24, 2015
Building multi-institutional consortiums allows smaller colleges to accomplish more than they ever could alone. Ellen Borkowski is CIO at Union College and Raechelle Clemmons is CIO for St. Norbe…
- Developing the Higher Ed IT Professional
February 17, 2015
In this conversation with Jennifer Sparrow, Furman Univeristy CIO Fred Miller talks about the specific skills needed in higher education IT, including mastery of the technical and an understandin…
- The Trifecta Effect
January 28, 2015
What happens when a well-developed strategic plan, a KISS governance model, and a formal project management methodology converge? The Trifecta Effect! Learn how to align your planning process fro…
- Administrative IT Strategy at the University of California, San Diego
August 18, 2014
This podcast features an interview with Chief Enterprise Technology Officer for the University of California, San Diego, Min Yao. In this conversation with Beth Warner, he lays out the current a…
- Steven Mintz: Three Radical Innovations by 2015
July 23, 2014
In this interview, Steven Mintz mentions three innovations that he believes will transform modern higher education. ero-mintz.mp3 …
- Interview: Yves Paul Epelboin, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie
April 16, 2014
Yves Paul Epelboin is special advisor to the President for MOOC at Universite Pierre et Marie Curie. In this interview he discusses their approach to MOOCs and higher education in France. …
- Interview: Matthew Burfeind, Massachusetts College of Art and Design
February 21, 2014
Matthew Burfeind is interim CIO for the Massachusetts College of Art and Design. In this interview he talks about the challenges of collaboration, enterprise computing, and his role as interim …