Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Today’s IT organization must be resilient and visionary. To thrive in today's fast-paced environment, leaders at all levels of the IT organization, from the CIO to the help desk, must embrace everyday challenges while planning for the future. This collection of resources was created to help institutions prepare current and future leaders for the ever-changing higher education environment.
The Chief Information Officer in Higher Education, 2014 Reports, CHECS, July 2014. This study provides information about higher education CIOs’ attributes, education, experience, and effectiveness and about the technology professionals who are likely to replace these CIOs. (ECAR subscription required)
Challenge Accepted! Why CIO Is the Best Job on Campus, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 21st, 2014. In our inaugural transmedia piece, EDUCAUSE asks the question, is the CIO position the pinnacle of a technology career—or a powerless position? Five CIOs tell us why they think they have the best job on campus.
Filling the IT Leadership Pipeline: A Panel Discussion, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2012. Six CIOs and senior technology leaders talk about their backgrounds, the strengths and skills needed for future CIOs, and the challenges of preparing the next generation of CIOs. They list the most critical competencies for current and future CIOs, and they debate whether these competencies are changing.
Aspiring and Residing IT Leaders: A Legacy for the Future, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2012. Keith McIntosh, winner of the inaugural EDUCAUSE Rising Star Award talks about becoming a leader and developing future leaders in the IT professional community. He outlines three steps that aspiring leaders can take to cultivate their leadership skills and three steps that residing leaders can take to leave a lasting legacy.
The Higher Education CIO: Portrait of Today, Landscape of Tomorrow, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2011. This webinar highlights findings from a study of the same name from the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR).
Institution Leadership Programs
The Pennsylvania State University’s “IT Connects” IT leadership skill development program.
EDUCAUSE Professional Development – below is a list of Institute Programs, including audience and program objectives
- A CIO, librarian, information technology professional, or administrator with a least seven years’ experience
- To learn how to create a collaborative community that takes leadership on critical issues to develop a platform for collective action
- An IT professional new to or aspiring to management
- Outlines the basic skills critical for management and supervision of projects, units and people
- Existing manager with some supervisory experience
- Practical skill development in effective management
- New CIO or an experienced senior-level leader aspiring to CIO/executive-level leadership
- Critical success skills for executive leaders & keys to understanding institution-wide IT strategy
- Experienced individual in a learning technology position who aspires to a leadership role
- To understand higher education leadership, attributes of effective leaders, and strategic skills for influencing decision-making
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Leadership Development
- EDU11: IT from Both Sides of the Executive Table
November 4, 2011
Information technology plays a fundamental and growing role in enabling education and research, yet the CIO's role in leading that evolution for colleges and universities is…
- Podcast: Sally Jackson on Sociotechnical Competence: Got Connections?
March 24, 2011
Keeping the IT support environment up to date means more than constantly introducing new technologies. Higher education is changing dramatically ; students and faculty rely on social a…
- Session Podcast: Linda Cureton, Chief Information Officer for NASA, on Leadership
January 20, 2011
Linda Cureton , the CIO of NASA, is well known for leveraging social networking tools, leadership skills, and innovation in an organization that shares many characteristics and issues with hig…
- E10 Session Podcast: The Role, Rise, and Potential Demise of the CIO
January 3, 2011
Where goes the CIO? Campus IT leaders confront rising expectations (entitlements?) for IT resources and services, budget cuts across all levels of IT services, and the reorganization of IT units …
- Podcast: Mentoring as a Professional Development Tool
September 28, 2010
Mentoring can be a great tool for both mentor and mentee to enrich their professional development. Having a person to bounce off ideas and to give advice is an invaluable tool in sharpening one…
- EDUCAUSE 2010 Preview: An Interview with Gary Hamel
September 20, 2010
Gary Hamel is a writer and visiting professor of strategic and international management at the London Business School. He will be giving a keynote address at the upcoming EDUCAUSE 2010 Annu…
- EDUCAUSE Now - #30 - 1) So, You Want to Be a Leader? 2) Implementing the ITIL Framework
August 12, 2010
This month on EDUCAUSE Now :Â What steps should you take to develop as a leader in higher education IT? Weâ€™ll talk with some IT leaders who share practical advice for developing your…
- In Conversation: Leadership in a New Work Environment
April 21, 2010
If you have been brought to an organization as a change agent, how do you lead in a culture that may be different from the one you left behind? In this conversation, Ulrich Rauch , Professor f…
- Podcast: Martin Klubeck on Using Metrics Within Your Institution
February 17, 2010
Metrics don't have to be complicated or confusing; they can be simple, straightforward, and meaningful. Like most things in life, the simpler the metrics, the better! In this conversation, …
- Jim Collins Interview
November 16, 2009
This podcast features our full twenty minute interview with Jim Collins. Jim Collins is an author and lecturer on business effectiveness and growth. His book, â€œGood To Great: Why Some C…