Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Today’s IT organization must be resilient and visionary. To thrive in today's fast-paced environment, leaders at all levels of the IT organization, from the CIO to the help desk, must embrace everyday challenges while planning for the future. This collection of resources was created to help institutions prepare current and future leaders for the ever-changing higher education environment.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2015 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review November/December 2015)
- Embracing Differentiation and Reclaiming Audacity: An Interview with James Hilton. The multivariant pressure on higher education going forward—over the next five years and beyond—is going to be to get better at telling a story that embraces differentiation.
- On Becoming a Leader: Building Relationships and Creating Communities. The function of a leader is to lead and guide people who will follow with the same values. An effective leader thus must be able to build relationships and create communities.
- The Next-Gen IT Leader. Next-gen IT leaders will need to be purposeful about engaging various segments of their campus communities to build trust, form relationships, and engage in true collaboration.
The Chief Information Officer in Higher Education, 2014 Reports, CHECS, July 2014. This study provides information about higher education CIOs’ attributes, education, experience, and effectiveness and about the technology professionals who are likely to replace these CIOs.
Challenge Accepted! Why CIO Is the Best Job on Campus, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 21st, 2014. In our inaugural transmedia piece, EDUCAUSE asks the question, is the CIO position the pinnacle of a technology career—or a powerless position? Five CIOs tell us why they think they have the best job on campus.
Filling the IT Leadership Pipeline: A Panel Discussion, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2012. Six CIOs and senior technology leaders talk about their backgrounds, the strengths and skills needed for future CIOs, and the challenges of preparing the next generation of CIOs. They list the most critical competencies for current and future CIOs, and they debate whether these competencies are changing.
Aspiring and Residing IT Leaders: A Legacy for the Future, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2012. Keith McIntosh, winner of the inaugural EDUCAUSE Rising Star Award talks about becoming a leader and developing future leaders in the IT professional community. He outlines three steps that aspiring leaders can take to cultivate their leadership skills and three steps that residing leaders can take to leave a lasting legacy.
The Higher Education CIO: Portrait of Today, Landscape of Tomorrow, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2011. This webinar highlights findings from a study of the same name from the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR).
Institution Leadership Programs
The Pennsylvania State University’s “IT Connects” IT leadership skill development program.
EDUCAUSE Professional Development – below is a list of Institute Programs, including audience and program objectives
- A CIO, librarian, information technology professional, or administrator with a least seven years’ experience
- To learn how to create a collaborative community that takes leadership on critical issues to develop a platform for collective action
- An IT professional new to or aspiring to management
- Outlines the basic skills critical for management and supervision of projects, units and people
- Existing manager with some supervisory experience
- Practical skill development in effective management
- New CIO or an experienced senior-level leader aspiring to CIO/executive-level leadership
- Critical success skills for executive leaders & keys to understanding institution-wide IT strategy
- Experienced individual in a learning technology position who aspires to a leadership role
- To understand higher education leadership, attributes of effective leaders, and strategic skills for influencing decision-making
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Leadership Development
- EDUCAUSE Now - #21 - 1) Jim Collins on What Not To Do 2) Lawrence Lessig on Fair Use for Educators
November 12, 2009
Take a break from raking those leaves and join hosts Gerry Bayne and Colleen Luckett for the November edition of EDUCAUSE Now! This month we talk with two of the keynote speakers from our 2009 An…
- EDUCAUSE Now - #18 - The Power of Mentoring, The Future of Data Curation
August 13, 2009
Join host Gerry Bayne and Colleen Luckett for the August edition of EDUCAUSE Now! This month we take a look at mentoring in higher ed IT, data curation for research and libraries, and the future …
- Podcast: Leadership: The Key to a Sustainable Future - Joel Hartman, University of Central Florida
June 4, 2009
This forty-three minute podcast features a keynote address from the EDUCAUSE 2009 Southeast Regional Conference. The speech, " Leadership: The Key to a Sustainable Future ," is by J…
- E07 Podcast: Things Iâ€™ve Screwed Upâ€”and How! - Greg Jackson
December 13, 2007
In this 35 minute podcast, we feature a speech by Greg Jackson , Vice President and CIO for the University of Chicago. This speech was recorded at the EDUCAUSE 2007 Conference in Seattle, Wash…
- E07 Podcast: Frye Institute Overview
November 27, 2007
This 40-minute podcast recorded during the EDUCAUSE 2007 Annual Conference features Brian L. Hawkins , President, EDUCAUSE, Edward Kelty , CIO/Dean Information Services, Rio Salado College,…
- E07 Podcast: IT Leadership and the Role of the CIO - The Annual Gartner/EDUCAUSE Update
November 21, 2007
This 49-minute podcast recorded during the EDUCAUSE 2007 Annual Conference features Michael R. Zastrocky , VP & Research Director/Academic Strategies, Gartner, Inc. speaking on IT Leader…
- E07 Podcast: Brian Hawkins - Learning To Drive (and Other Lessons Learned Along the Way)
November 12, 2007
In November of 2006, Brian Hawkins , EDUCAUSE President, announced his plans to retire from the presidency of EDUCAUSE at the end of the 2007•2008 academic year. At the 2007 EDUCAUSE Annual …
- E07 Podcast: An Interview with Robert Renaud
November 12, 2007
In this 16-minute podcast, we feature an interview with Robert Renaud , Vice President and CIO, Dickinson College He discusses the future of and challenges facing Enterprise Resource Planning…
- On the scene reporting with Vidya Ananthanarayanan and Molly Tamarkin
October 25, 2005
In this recording, Vidya sits down with Molly Tamarkin , Asst Dean of Information Technology at the Nicholas School of the Environment at Duke University. Let's listen in as they share …