Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Information Technology Management and Leadership [x]
- Leadership Development [x]
- Leadership (158)
- CIO (76)
- Professional Development (57)
- IT Workforce Development (37)
- Mentoring (21)
- Change Management (10)
- IT Organization (8)
- Communications (6)
- Future of Higher Education (6)
- Collaboration (5)
- Organizational Structure (5)
- IT Strategic Planning (4)
- Innovation (4)
- Institutional Management (4)
- Teaching and Learning (18)
- Libraries and Technology (4)
Today’s IT organization must be resilient and visionary. To thrive in today's fast-paced environment, leaders at all levels of the IT organization, from the CIO to the help desk, must embrace everyday challenges while planning for the future. This collection of resources was created to help institutions prepare current and future leaders for the ever-changing higher education environment.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2014 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review May/June 2015)
- Gathering No Moss: Followership and Leadership A successful leader must first know how to follow.
- Modeling Leadership All leadership models have pros and cons; successful leaders will develop their own model and their own style.
- Leading as an Intentional Journey Leadership may not start out as a destination, but for successful leaders, it becomes an intentional journey.
- Planning the IT Career You Want The wide range and scope of careers within higher education information technology requires active planning for the career that is right for you.
- Technology in Higher Education: Defining the Strategic Leader IT is simultaneously more challenging, relevant, and exciting than ever; leading IT requires unique characteristics and capabilities. But what qualities make for a successful IT leader in this environment?
The Chief Information Officer in Higher Education, 2014 Reports, CHECS, July 2014. This study provides information about higher education CIOs’ attributes, education, experience, and effectiveness and about the technology professionals who are likely to replace these CIOs.
Challenge Accepted! Why CIO Is the Best Job on Campus, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 21st, 2014. In our inaugural transmedia piece, EDUCAUSE asks the question, is the CIO position the pinnacle of a technology career—or a powerless position? Five CIOs tell us why they think they have the best job on campus.
Filling the IT Leadership Pipeline: A Panel Discussion, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2012. Six CIOs and senior technology leaders talk about their backgrounds, the strengths and skills needed for future CIOs, and the challenges of preparing the next generation of CIOs. They list the most critical competencies for current and future CIOs, and they debate whether these competencies are changing.
Aspiring and Residing IT Leaders: A Legacy for the Future, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2012. Keith McIntosh, winner of the inaugural EDUCAUSE Rising Star Award talks about becoming a leader and developing future leaders in the IT professional community. He outlines three steps that aspiring leaders can take to cultivate their leadership skills and three steps that residing leaders can take to leave a lasting legacy.
The Higher Education CIO: Portrait of Today, Landscape of Tomorrow, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2011. This webinar highlights findings from a study of the same name from the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR).
Institution Leadership Programs
The Pennsylvania State University’s “IT Connects” IT leadership skill development program.
EDUCAUSE Professional Development – below is a list of Institute Programs, including audience and program objectives
- A CIO, librarian, information technology professional, or administrator with a least seven years’ experience
- To learn how to create a collaborative community that takes leadership on critical issues to develop a platform for collective action
- An IT professional new to or aspiring to management
- Outlines the basic skills critical for management and supervision of projects, units and people
- Existing manager with some supervisory experience
- Practical skill development in effective management
- New CIO or an experienced senior-level leader aspiring to CIO/executive-level leadership
- Critical success skills for executive leaders & keys to understanding institution-wide IT strategy
- Experienced individual in a learning technology position who aspires to a leadership role
- To understand higher education leadership, attributes of effective leaders, and strategic skills for influencing decision-making
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Leadership Development
- CIO "Advice" Focus Groups: First Year of a CIO and CIO Search Committee Strategies
May 29, 2013
A session at the Southeast Regional Conference
Join other CIOs and Senior IT Leaders in an open discussion on your experiences and advice to others on getting the CIO job and how to navigate the first year in the role. …
- Successful Mentoring Relationships for Career Development
April 16, 2013
A session at the Security Professionals Online Conference 2013
Participation in mentoring activities can be a key success factor in your career development. But how do you start? How do you find the right mentor or set of mentors for your situation? What shoul…
- EDUCAUSE Now - #18 - The Power of Mentoring, The Future of Data Curation
August 13, 2009
Join host Gerry Bayne and Colleen Luckett for the August edition of EDUCAUSE Now! This month we take a look at mentoring in higher ed IT, data curation for research and libraries, and the future …
- Library Discussion and Leadership Introduction
February 13, 2013
A session at the West/Southwest Online Regional Conference 2013
Three Views on Leadership. Learn why these three leadership topics are important for you and your campus. Three Views on Leadership. Learn why th…
- Podcast: Leadership: The Key to a Sustainable Future - Joel Hartman, University of Central Florida
June 4, 2009
This forty-three minute podcast features a keynote address from the EDUCAUSE 2009 Southeast Regional Conference. The speech, " Leadership: The Key to a Sustainable Future ," is by J…
- Views of the Top: Rising IT Leaders Discuss the CIO Position in Higher Education
September 12, 2008
This ECAR case study complements the 2008 ECAR study by Philip J. Goldstein, Leading the IT Workforce in Higher Education . Views of the Top: Rising IT Leaders Discuss the CIO Position in Hi…
- Leading the IT Workforce in Higher Education
September 12, 2008
Abstract This 2008 ECAR research study builds upon the work done in 2004 by ECAR in its original study of information technology leadership. The 2008 study addresses the following questions: …
- Leading the IT Workforce in Higher Educationâ€”Roadmap
September 12, 2008
This ECAR roadmap synthesizes the important issues and recommended actions drawn from the 2008 ECAR research study, Leading the IT Workforce in Higher Education , by Philip J. Goldstein. The s…
- Leading the IT Workforce in Higher Educationâ€“Key Findings
September 12, 2008
This document presents the key findings of the ECAR study, Leading the IT Workforce in Higher Education , by Philip J. Goldstein. The study builds upon the ECAR work done in 2004 in its origin…
- Growing the Next Generation of Leaders
August 4, 2008
© 2008 Rebecca Gould, Elizabeth Unger, and Annie Bacon. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 license ( http://creat…