Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Improving Student Graduation Rates Using Data Insights and Predictive Modeling December 16, 2014, EDUCAUSE Live!. As part of an overall plan to improve student graduation rates, Harper College and Dell developed a student retention model that quickly identifies at-risk students and delivers the information to key stakeholders, allowing early intervention to increase student success.
- IPAS Implementation Handbook, October 13, 2014. While the use of analytics to promote student success is gaining in popularity, basic questions about what IPAS is and the issues institutions face during implementation and integration. The IPAS Implementation Handbook catalogs the experiences, observations, and practical advice from 19 institutions engaged in IPAS implementation projects.
- Septris and SICKO: Implementing and Using Learning Analytics and Gamification in Medical Education, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative, March 2014. To investigate and capitalize on the growth of gaming and learning analytics and apply it to education, Stanford School of Medicine developed two educational games. Septris and its successor, SICKO (Surgical Improvement of Clinical Knowledge Ops), are web-based educational games developed by a cross-disciplinary team of doctors, web developers, and instructional technologists.
- Blazing Trails: Launching the First Online Degree Completion Program at the University of Washington, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2014.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013. Based on the experiences of the six NGLC grant recipients, this report discusses suggestions for future development and adoption of learning analytics.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- Building Consortia for Smaller Colleges
February 24, 2015
Building multi-institutional consortiums allows smaller colleges to accomplish more than they ever could alone. Ellen Borkowski is CIO at Union College and Raechelle Clemmons is CIO for St. Norbe…
- Developing the Higher Ed IT Professional
February 17, 2015
In this conversation with Jennifer Sparrow, Furman Univeristy CIO Fred Miller talks about the specific skills needed in higher education IT, including mastery of the technical and an understandin…
- The Trifecta Effect
January 28, 2015
What happens when a well-developed strategic plan, a KISS governance model, and a formal project management methodology converge? The Trifecta Effect! Learn how to align your planning process fro…
- Administrative IT Strategy at the University of California, San Diego
August 18, 2014
This podcast features an interview with Chief Enterprise Technology Officer for the University of California, San Diego, Min Yao. In this conversation with Beth Warner, he lays out the current a…
- Steven Mintz: Three Radical Innovations by 2015
July 23, 2014
In this interview, Steven Mintz mentions three innovations that he believes will transform modern higher education. ero-mintz.mp3 …
- Interview: Yves Paul Epelboin, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie
April 16, 2014
Yves Paul Epelboin is special advisor to the President for MOOC at Universite Pierre et Marie Curie. In this interview he discusses their approach to MOOCs and higher education in France. …
- Interview: Matthew Burfeind, Massachusetts College of Art and Design
February 21, 2014
Matthew Burfeind is interim CIO for the Massachusetts College of Art and Design. In this interview he talks about the challenges of collaboration, enterprise computing, and his role as interim …
- Interview: Barron Koralesky, EDUCAUSE Award Winner
January 24, 2014
Jennifer Sparrow interviews fellow EDUCAUSE Rising Star Award winner, Barron Koralesky. Koralesky is associate director of information technology services at Macalester College. …
- CNI Podcast: Data Federation of University Research
January 2, 2014
This podcast features a conversation with Assistant Dean for Innovation and Strategy at the University of Kansas, Deborah Ludwig. In this interview, Ludwig updates us on the D4 project. D4 (Da…
- Podcast: Brown University Libraries Supporting Digital Scholarship
December 31, 2013
This podcast features a conversation with Joukowsky Family University Librarian at Brown University, Harriette Hemmasi. In this interview she discusses the Brown University Library Digital Schola…