Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Septris and SICKO: Implementing and Using Learning Analytics and Gamification in Medical Education, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative, March 2014. To investigate and capitalize on the growth of gaming and learning analytics and apply it to education, Stanford School of Medicine developed two educational games. Septris and its successor, SICKO (Surgical Improvement of Clinical Knowledge Ops), are web-based educational games developed by a cross-disciplinary team of doctors, web developers, and instructional technologists.
- Blazing Trails: Launching the First Online Degree Completion Program at the University of Washington, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2014.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013. Based on the experiences of the six NGLC grant recipients, this report discusses suggestions for future development and adoption of learning analytics.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Game Changers: Education and Information Technologies, EDUCAUSE E-Book. 2012. The following chapters from the book specifically address the use of learning analytics in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- Learning Analytics: Institutional & Research Perspectives, ELI Web Seminar, January 2012. This seminar highlights three institutional learning analytics projects at the University of Phoenix, University of Saskatchewan, and the UK Open University.
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
- Harnessing the Power of Technology, Openness, and Collaboration, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. This article describes how together, Kaleidoscope and OAAI could facilitate a cost-effective systemic approach to address the challenge of college completion.
- 7 Things You Should Know About First-Generation Learning Analytics, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, December 2011. This 7 Things discusses how learning analytics (LA) collects and analyzes the “digital breadcrumbs” that students leave as they interact with various computer systems to look for correlations between those activities and learning outcomes.
- Feedback Loops, Analytics, and Open Educational Resources: The Innovative Braid of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. ELI Web Seminar, June 2011. Participants in the Statway Networked Improvement Community share data and analytics on what works—for what students, under what conditions—to continue to improve student learning.
- Learning Analytics: The Coming Third Wave. ELI Brief, April 2011. This ELI brief both serves as a report on the LAK11 conference and summarizes the larger picture for LA, based on the papers and discussions at the conference.
- Learning Analytics: A Foundation for Informed Change in Higher Education. ELI Web Seminar, January 2011. This presentation offers a broad introduction to the concept of learning analytics, detail practical implementations, and discuss future options for an analytics-focused university.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- Developing A Comprehensive Privacy Program: A Step-By-Step Guide
December 13, 2013
Daniel Solove wrote Developing A Comprehensive Privacy Program: A Step-By-Step Guide in 2013 for The National Assoication of College and University Attorneys (NACUA). This guide seeks to…
- IT Infrastructure Projects: A Framework for Analysis
July 15, 2014
Just as maintaining a healthy infrastructure of water delivery and roads is essential to the functioning of cities and towns, maintaining a healthy infrastructure of information technology is ess…
- CIOs and Campus IT: Summer Technology Projects, by Theresa Rowe
August 6, 2014
Theresa Rowe is CIO at Oakland University. Summer is a busy and exciting time for advancement of new tech initiatives and tech renewal projects. Campus CIOs generally expect to handle …
- Five Questions for CIOs
January 27, 2014
Eric Denna is the CIO for the University of Utah and the Utah System of Higher Education. With this issue of EDUCAUSE Review, he begins a one-year term as Editor of the Viewpoints dep…
- IT Risk Management: Try This Exercise at Your Institution
June 30, 2013
The director of IT risk management at the University of Oxford and the associate CIO at Princeton University used the EDUCAUSE Top Ten IT Issues as a guide to inform risk management practices …
- Podcast: Ganesan Ravishanker on the Democracy and Pitfalls of Data Analytics
July 12, 2012
Ganesan Ravishanker is Chief Information Officer at Wellesley College. In this conversation he shares his cautious insights into the challenges and benefits of analytics. …
- Seminar 04F - Project Management Conference within a Conference (separate registration required)
October 15, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
Project management is not a new topic in the public sectors but may be new to many in higher education. This daylong seminar will focus on different aspects of project management and how the discip…
- A "Plug-in" Approach to Information and Technology Services Strategy
June 1, 2011
The University Technology Council at Framingham State began developing new recommendations and proposed initiatives for updates to the University’s strategic plan in 2010. The resulting 5 …
- EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 46, Number 3, May/June 2011
May 31, 2011
EDUCAUSE Review Volume 46, Number 3 May/June 2011 Why IT Matters to Higher Education document.write(" "); features …
- University of Victoria Strategic Plan and Governance Structure
January 25, 2011
This University of Victoria site includes information and access to the University Systems Strategic Plan and their systems governance structure. …