Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Improving Student Graduation Rates Using Data Insights and Predictive Modeling December 16, 2014, EDUCAUSE Live!. As part of an overall plan to improve student graduation rates, Harper College and Dell developed a student retention model that quickly identifies at-risk students and delivers the information to key stakeholders, allowing early intervention to increase student success.
- IPAS Implementation Handbook, October 13, 2014. While the use of analytics to promote student success is gaining in popularity, basic questions about what IPAS is and the issues institutions face during implementation and integration. The IPAS Implementation Handbook catalogs the experiences, observations, and practical advice from 19 institutions engaged in IPAS implementation projects.
- Septris and SICKO: Implementing and Using Learning Analytics and Gamification in Medical Education, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative, March 2014. To investigate and capitalize on the growth of gaming and learning analytics and apply it to education, Stanford School of Medicine developed two educational games. Septris and its successor, SICKO (Surgical Improvement of Clinical Knowledge Ops), are web-based educational games developed by a cross-disciplinary team of doctors, web developers, and instructional technologists.
- Blazing Trails: Launching the First Online Degree Completion Program at the University of Washington, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2014.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013. Based on the experiences of the six NGLC grant recipients, this report discusses suggestions for future development and adoption of learning analytics.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- Ithaca College Digital Instruction and Information Services, Strategic Plan 2015-2020
December 23, 2015
This is a link to the Ithaca College Digital Instruction and Information Services, Strategic Plan 2015-2020. This is a link to the Ithaca College…
- Strange Bedfellows: How to Think about Innovation in a World of Regulation
June 22, 2015
Paul LeBlanc, President of Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU), is the 2015 New Business Models department author and editor for EDUCAUSE Review . Disruptive innovation h…
- Benchmarking to Inform Planning: The EDUCAUSE Core Data Service
April 27, 2015
Using metrics to benchmark higher education IT financials, staffing, and services can add value by informing and reinforcing the decision-making process. Leah Lang is Director of …
- Developing A Comprehensive Privacy Program: A Step-By-Step Guide
December 13, 2013
Daniel Solove wrote Developing A Comprehensive Privacy Program: A Step-By-Step Guide in 2013 for The National Assoication of College and University Attorneys (NACUA). This guide seeks to…
- IT Infrastructure Projects: A Framework for Analysis
July 15, 2014
Just as maintaining a healthy infrastructure of water delivery and roads is essential to the functioning of cities and towns, maintaining a healthy infrastructure of information technology is ess…
- CIOs and Campus IT: Summer Technology Projects, by Theresa Rowe
August 6, 2014
Theresa Rowe is CIO at Oakland University. Summer is a busy and exciting time for advancement of new tech initiatives and tech renewal projects. Campus CIOs generally expect to handle …
- Fully Integrated Activity-Based Costing
October 28, 2015
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2015
Learn how activity-based costing (ABC) can help your strategic planning and annual budgeting processes. We'll describe our ABC implementation, which components we were able to perform in-hou…
- Five Questions for CIOs
January 27, 2014
Eric Denna is the CIO for the University of Utah and the Utah System of Higher Education. With this issue of EDUCAUSE Review, he begins a one-year term as Editor of the Viewpoints dep…
- Winning Integration Strategies to Inspire and Stimulate Campus-Wide ECM Adoption
October 29, 2015
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2015
The IT teams at Loyola University Chicago and Williams College delivered value to departments campus-wide by integrating SIS, ERP, and other systems with their ECM system. We'll discuss our …
- Seminar 1A - Using Analytics, Business Intelligence, and Data Management to Advance Institutional Planning (separate registration required)
October 27, 2015
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Virtual Conference 2015
Using Analytics for Decision Support and Institutional Planning Abstract: This preconference seminar will look at recent developments in the use of analytics, business intelligence, and da…