Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
- Community (81)
- EDUCAUSE Review (55)
- EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) (53)
- EDUCAUSE Policy Office (14)
- Archived Content (10)
- Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC) (6)
- Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) (5)
- EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI) (2)
- EDUCAUSE Publications (2)
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Improving Student Graduation Rates Using Data Insights and Predictive Modeling December 16, 2014, EDUCAUSE Live!. As part of an overall plan to improve student graduation rates, Harper College and Dell developed a student retention model that quickly identifies at-risk students and delivers the information to key stakeholders, allowing early intervention to increase student success.
- IPAS Implementation Handbook, October 13, 2014. While the use of analytics to promote student success is gaining in popularity, basic questions about what IPAS is and the issues institutions face during implementation and integration. The IPAS Implementation Handbook catalogs the experiences, observations, and practical advice from 19 institutions engaged in IPAS implementation projects.
- Septris and SICKO: Implementing and Using Learning Analytics and Gamification in Medical Education, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative, March 2014. To investigate and capitalize on the growth of gaming and learning analytics and apply it to education, Stanford School of Medicine developed two educational games. Septris and its successor, SICKO (Surgical Improvement of Clinical Knowledge Ops), are web-based educational games developed by a cross-disciplinary team of doctors, web developers, and instructional technologists.
- Blazing Trails: Launching the First Online Degree Completion Program at the University of Washington, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2014.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013. Based on the experiences of the six NGLC grant recipients, this report discusses suggestions for future development and adoption of learning analytics.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- Privacy in Higher Education: A CPO's Perspective
January 25, 2016
Kent Wada (CPO and Director, Strategic IT Policy, UCLA) received the Privacy Leadership in Education Award from the California Information Security Office on September 30, 2015, and EDUCAUSE took…
- EDUCAUSE Comments: U.S. Dept. of Education Rule-Making on Open Licensing
December 17, 2015
The American Council on Education (ACE) and EDUCAUSE submitted a letter to the U.S. Department of Education (ED) about its notice of proposed rule-making (NPRM) on open licensing. In the NPRM, ED…
- EDUCAUSE Comments: Perkins Loans Extension, Second Request
November 20, 2015
EDUCAUSE joined numerous higher education associations and institutions in a letter asking the relevant leadership in the U.S. House and Senate to give further consideration to extending the Perk…
- EDUCAUSE Comments: Fisher v. University of Texas Amicus Brief
October 28, 2015
EDUCAUSE joined with numerous higher education associations and institutions to submit a legal brief in support of the University of Texas in the 2015 reconsideration of Fisher v. University of…
- Mobile Apps in Higher Education: Developing an Institutional Governance Strategy
December 18, 2015
The extraordinary success of apps for mobile devices has brought a new dimension to the higher education environment. To provide services to and engage with constituents , higher education has…
- 7 Things You Should Know About NGDLE
December 9, 2015
The next generation digital learning environment (NGDLE) is conceived as an ecosystem—a learning environment consisting of learning tools and components that adhere to common standards. …
- Unified Communications in Higher Education: Responding to New Risks
November 17, 2015
New unified communications (UC) capabilities and the increased desire for richer collaboration experiences have led to a fundamental shift in the technology we use for communication. For …
- IT Accessibility Risk Statements and Evidence
July 31, 2015
This document was created by the EDUCAUSE IT Accessibility Constituent Group to help identify accessibility risks that IT leaders should consider in their risk management process. …
- Data, Technology, and the Great Unbundling of Higher Education
August 17, 2015
Colleges and universities must address several critical issues in the years ahead in order to prepare for the next seismic change: the unbundling of higher education. …
- Closing the Credential Gap: Higher Education’s Accessibility Makeover
August 11, 2015
The launch of the 2015 Breakthrough Models Incubator When you gather a group of university leaders from across the country together in one room, you get widely varied perspectives on…