Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Information Technology Management and Leadership [x]
- Libraries and Technology [x]
- Teaching and Learning (277)
- E-Content (269)
- Openness (153)
- Information Discovery and Retrieval (123)
- Open Access (103)
- Students (98)
- Information Literacy (94)
- Institutional Management (91)
- Digital Library Services (90)
- Digital Libraries (82)
- Networking and Emerging Technologies (79)
- Scholarly Communications (77)
- Distributed Computing (75)
- Mobile Computing (75)
- Collaboration (73)
- Digital Publishing (70)
- Instructional Technologies (69)
- E-Learning (66)
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Game Changers: Education and Information Technologies, EDUCAUSE E-Book. 2012. The following chapters from the book specifically address the use of learning analytics in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- Learning Analytics: Institutional & Research Perspectives, ELI Web Seminar, January 2012. This seminar highlights three institutional learning analytics projects at the University of Phoenix, University of Saskatchewan, and the UK Open University.
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
- Harnessing the Power of Technology, Openness, and Collaboration, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. This article describes how together, Kaleidoscope and OAAI could facilitate a cost-effective systemic approach to address the challenge of college completion.
- 7 Things You Should Know About First-Generation Learning Analytics, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, December 2011. This 7 Things discusses how learning analytics (LA) collects and analyzes the “digital breadcrumbs” that students leave as they interact with various computer systems to look for correlations between those activities and learning outcomes.
- Feedback Loops, Analytics, and Open Educational Resources: The Innovative Braid of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. ELI Web Seminar, June 2011. Participants in the Statway Networked Improvement Community share data and analytics on what works—for what students, under what conditions—to continue to improve student learning.
- Learning Analytics: The Coming Third Wave. ELI Brief, April 2011. This ELI brief both serves as a report on the LAK11 conference and summarizes the larger picture for LA, based on the papers and discussions at the conference.
- Learning Analytics: A Foundation for Informed Change in Higher Education. ELI Web Seminar, January 2011. This presentation offers a broad introduction to the concept of learning analytics, detail practical implementations, and discuss future options for an analytics-focused university.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- OERs Increase Access, Drop Book Expenses
May 7, 2013
Tacoma Community College and other schools are finding that use of open educational resources (OER) in couses is saving students financially. Tac…
- Higher Education in the Ultra-Connected Age
April 25, 2013
New forms of scholarship, new educational pathways , and new interconnections and dependencies characterize the digitally rich landscape of higher education today. We are living and workin…
- Up and Away: Open Access in Portugal
May 6, 2013
Portugal stands out among nations that have embraced open access to scholarly communication because of its early adoption of institutional policies , creation of a network of reposito…
- To Maus or Not to Maus: Technically, That Is the Question
May 6, 2013
Key Takeaways What should a Maus book owner do when he can't access the multiple copies he owns on all his various devices, including the newest, an iPad ? In …
- The Horizon Report in Action: Emerging Technologies Today and Tomorrow
March 27, 2013
Wondering what’s new in mobiles, electronic books, learning analytics , and other emerging technology areas? Join Malcolm Brown and Veronica Diaz of the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative as t…
- We Love E-Books!
April 1, 2013
Carrie Rampp is Director of Library Services and Instructional Technology at Bucknell University, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. True confession: I really love e-books. They are so conven…
- The PressForward Project and Scholarly Communication on the Open Web
February 21, 2013
A healthy ecosystem for scholarly communication requires a continuum from independently distributed work to postpublication peer review. With funding from the Sloan Foundation, the Roy Rosenzwe…
- Developing Research Data Management Services
February 26, 2013
Key Takeaways Collaboration is essential in developing research data management services , bringing together disparate but critical entities on how best to address the storage…
- Sustaining Our Digital Future: Institutional Strategies for Digital Content
January 30, 2013
This UK report, commissioned by the Strategic Content Alliance and undertaken by Ithaka S+R, "Sustaining Our Digital Future: Institutional Strategies for Digital Content", tells of how …
- Ten Years Later: Why Open Educational Resources Have Not Noticeably Affected Higher Education, and Why We Should Care
February 26, 2013
Key Takeaways Open educational resources made a dramatic appearance with the 2002 debut of MIT's Open Courseware initiative. In the roughly 10 years since, OERs hav…