Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
- EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) [x]
- Research Bulletins (171)
- Research Report (57)
- ECAR Case Studies (51)
- Presentations (48)
- Survey Instruments (37)
- Key Findings (22)
- Roadmaps (22)
- Research Hub (16)
- ECAR Working Group (11)
- ECAR Interactive Graphics and Infographics (10)
- Advanced Core Technologies Initiative (ACTI) (5)
- Just In Time Research (1)
- EDUCAUSE Publications (17)
- Community (1)
- EDUCAUSE Policy Office (1)
- EDUCAUSE Review (1)
Filter by Library Taxonomy
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Improving Student Graduation Rates Using Data Insights and Predictive Modeling December 16, 2014, EDUCAUSE Live!. As part of an overall plan to improve student graduation rates, Harper College and Dell developed a student retention model that quickly identifies at-risk students and delivers the information to key stakeholders, allowing early intervention to increase student success.
- IPAS Implementation Handbook, October 13, 2014. While the use of analytics to promote student success is gaining in popularity, basic questions about what IPAS is and the issues institutions face during implementation and integration. The IPAS Implementation Handbook catalogs the experiences, observations, and practical advice from 19 institutions engaged in IPAS implementation projects.
- Septris and SICKO: Implementing and Using Learning Analytics and Gamification in Medical Education, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative, March 2014. To investigate and capitalize on the growth of gaming and learning analytics and apply it to education, Stanford School of Medicine developed two educational games. Septris and its successor, SICKO (Surgical Improvement of Clinical Knowledge Ops), are web-based educational games developed by a cross-disciplinary team of doctors, web developers, and instructional technologists.
- Blazing Trails: Launching the First Online Degree Completion Program at the University of Washington, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2014.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013. Based on the experiences of the six NGLC grant recipients, this report discusses suggestions for future development and adoption of learning analytics.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- IT Service Delivery in Higher Education
May 11, 2015
Related Resources IT Service Catalog Resources The Higher Education IT Service Catalog: A Working Model for Comparison and Collaboration , ECAR Working Group publication, April…
- Preparing the IT Organization for the Cloud
May 7, 2015
Cloud-based IT services are becoming a norm for higher education, providing researchers, faculty, students, and administrators alike with the tools that they need in order to do their work. But t…
- How to Be Agile With Business Analytics
May 4, 2015
As the demands of IT service delivery shift toward bimodal capabilities, analytics and business intelligence leaders must introduce increased agility into the business analytics delivery process,…
- 2015 Strategic Information Security Issues Infographic
April 24, 2015
Featuring data from the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research and the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service, this infographic highlights the 2015 Top Information Security Strategic Issues selected by th…
- TCO for Cloud Services: A Framework
April 24, 2015
One of the common justifications for moving to cloud services is cost savings , but the data are often insufficient to support such claims due to the inherent challenges in effec…
- Electronic Lab Notebooks: ECAR-WG Technology Spotlight
April 9, 2015
Electronic lab notebooks (ELNs) are software-based tools to replace paper lab notebooks . Scientists and other researchers use laboratory notebooks to organize their data, and ELNs mov…
- The Higher Education IT Service Catalog: A Working Model for Comparison and Collaboration
April 8, 2015
The implementation of a service catalog is an important step in transforming from a technology-oriented organization into a service-oriented organization. The service catalog is a veh…
- Hadoop: ECAR-WG Technology Spotlight
March 30, 2015
Apache Hadoop is an open-source software project for reliable, scalable, distributed computing . Hadoop enables big-data storage and processing by dividing the work across computer clu…
- The Compelling Case for Data Governance
March 17, 2015
In higher education, data about students, employees, administrative and educational activities, and research are increasingly recognized as valuable assets that can be explored to reveal …
- Best Practices for IT Disaster Recovery: Reducing Risks On-Site and in the Cloud
January 27, 2015
Technology advancements are transforming IT DR and ITSCM practices. Leveraging people, processes and technology best practices is critical to success, whether recovering on-premises or in a cloud…