Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Improving Student Graduation Rates Using Data Insights and Predictive Modeling December 16, 2014, EDUCAUSE Live!. As part of an overall plan to improve student graduation rates, Harper College and Dell developed a student retention model that quickly identifies at-risk students and delivers the information to key stakeholders, allowing early intervention to increase student success.
- IPAS Implementation Handbook, October 13, 2014. While the use of analytics to promote student success is gaining in popularity, basic questions about what IPAS is and the issues institutions face during implementation and integration. The IPAS Implementation Handbook catalogs the experiences, observations, and practical advice from 19 institutions engaged in IPAS implementation projects.
- Septris and SICKO: Implementing and Using Learning Analytics and Gamification in Medical Education, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative, March 2014. To investigate and capitalize on the growth of gaming and learning analytics and apply it to education, Stanford School of Medicine developed two educational games. Septris and its successor, SICKO (Surgical Improvement of Clinical Knowledge Ops), are web-based educational games developed by a cross-disciplinary team of doctors, web developers, and instructional technologists.
- Blazing Trails: Launching the First Online Degree Completion Program at the University of Washington, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2014.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013. Based on the experiences of the six NGLC grant recipients, this report discusses suggestions for future development and adoption of learning analytics.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- New Year, New Challenges: Preparing Your Campus for Data Privacy and Security Issues in the Year Ahead
December 19, 2013
As technology continues to evolve, so do the data privacy and security risks facing colleges and universities. New products and programs have made it easier to teach, gather, and share informat…
- Benchmarking to Inform IT Planning
July 14, 2015
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Benchmarking to Inform IT Planning
Wondering why you should use benchmarks? Wondering how to benchmark your IT organization? Join Leah Lang from EDUCAUSE to learn the basics of benchmarking, why more than 825 of your peers are doing…
- Directions for the Digital Learning Environment: the CIO's Perspective
June 16, 2015
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Directions for the Digital Learning Environment
Change in higher education is most visible and palpable in the domain of teaching and learning. On the technology side, it is characterized most strongly by the emergence of the digital learning en…
- Movin' On Up: Planning for Moving Academic Libraries' Infrastructure to the Cloud
April 30, 2015
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE!
As a part of a consortia of universities exploring a comprehensive cloud strategy for academia, the University of Notre Dame co-authored the "Cloud Strategy for Higher Education" white pa…
- Top 10 IT Issues, 2015: Inflection Point
February 4, 2015
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Top 10 IT Issues, 2015: Inflection Point
Change continues to characterize the EDUCAUSE Top 10 IT Issues in 2015. The pace of change seems not to be slowing but rather increasing. Higher education information technology seems to have rea…
- Fostering a Place for Invention and Creation: Two Approaches to Makerspaces on Campus
October 28, 2013
Learn how two institutions provide space for fabrication and collaboration with access to advanced tools such as 3D printers and laser cutters. Case Western Reserve University's thin…
- Improving Student Graduation Rates Using Data Insights and Predictive Modeling
December 16, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Improving Student Graduation Rates Using Data Insights and Predictive Modeling
This session is a continuation of the conversation started at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference in Orlando on innovative initiatives to improve student retention. As part of an overall plan to improve…
- Helping Higher Education Leaders Understand IT: An EDUCAUSE Pilot Program
October 23, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Helping Higher Education Leaders Understand IT
IT leaders must continually communicate and promote the strategic role that information technology plays in addressing key challenges for institutions and for higher education. EDUCAUSE has begun d…
- CIO Insights on Cybersecurity
October 14, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Live - CIO Insights on Cybersecurity
Join three CIOs as higher ed celebrates the 11th anniversary of National Cyber Security Awareness Month this October. In addition to talking about current information security issues on their cam…
- Design Thinking - Education Edition
September 10, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Design Thinking: Education Edition
Albert Einstein said, "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Join Holly Morris, Director of Postsecondary Model Development and Adoption at …