Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs and Wikis [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Information Technology Management and Leadership [x]
- Teaching and Learning (5)
- Libraries and Technology (3)
- Open Access (3)
- Openness (3)
- Policy and Law (3)
- Copyright (2)
- Federal Policy and Law (2)
- Institutional Management (2)
- Instructional Technologies (2)
- Intellectual Property (2)
- P2P File Sharing (2)
- Technology Selection (2)
- Applications Development (1)
- Collaboration (1)
- E-Content (1)
- E-Learning (1)
- Instructional Design (1)
- Learning Environments (1)
- Learning Space (1)
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Game Changers: Education and Information Technologies, EDUCAUSE E-Book. 2012. The following chapters from the book specifically address the use of learning analytics in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- Learning Analytics: Institutional & Research Perspectives, ELI Web Seminar, January 2012. This seminar highlights three institutional learning analytics projects at the University of Phoenix, University of Saskatchewan, and the UK Open University.
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
- Harnessing the Power of Technology, Openness, and Collaboration, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. This article describes how together, Kaleidoscope and OAAI could facilitate a cost-effective systemic approach to address the challenge of college completion.
- 7 Things You Should Know About First-Generation Learning Analytics, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, December 2011. This 7 Things discusses how learning analytics (LA) collects and analyzes the “digital breadcrumbs” that students leave as they interact with various computer systems to look for correlations between those activities and learning outcomes.
- Feedback Loops, Analytics, and Open Educational Resources: The Innovative Braid of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. ELI Web Seminar, June 2011. Participants in the Statway Networked Improvement Community share data and analytics on what works—for what students, under what conditions—to continue to improve student learning.
- Learning Analytics: The Coming Third Wave. ELI Brief, April 2011. This ELI brief both serves as a report on the LAK11 conference and summarizes the larger picture for LA, based on the papers and discussions at the conference.
- Learning Analytics: A Foundation for Informed Change in Higher Education. ELI Web Seminar, January 2011. This presentation offers a broad introduction to the concept of learning analytics, detail practical implementations, and discuss future options for an analytics-focused university.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- Napster, Udacity, and the Academy
November 12, 2012
Clay Shirky provides a thoughtful discussion in this blog on MOOCs and its early stages of possible disruption of higher education. Clay Shirky p…
- Social Media guidelines
June 4, 2009
This blog from Florida International University provides some guidelines for how to communicate on behalf of FIU on social media sites. This blog…
- Toward a Product Evaluation Framework
March 7, 2010
This evaluation framework is offered not as a final model, but as a route by which people can think through and share some ideas around this goal. Conversation, disagreement, and dialogue about t…
- Learning about Lecture Capture Technology
February 21, 2010
This blogger is in the process of picking a lecture capture technology and is blogging about the experience and their findings. This blogger is i…
- The Meaning of Open
December 21, 2009
A blog entry from Google executive, Jonathan Rosenberg, Senior Vice President of Product Management on the meaning on "Open". A b…
- Climate Planning for Campuses: A How To Guide
April 8, 2009
This Climate Action Planning Guide wiki launched in April 2009 with initial text provided by Walter Simpson, CEM, LEED AP, a retired Energy Officer from University at Buffalo and the former Direc…
- The Learning Space
February 18, 2009
The primary intent of this web blog is to provide an environment which offers mediated resources in teaching and learning, guidance in classroom design, instructional design, and digital media cr…
- Pre-Litigation Letters Put Colleges Between a Rock and a Hard Place
October 5, 2007
"This week The Badger Herald, the University of Wisconsin at Madison’s student newspaper, profiles “Elizabeth,” one of the growing number of college students who have received …
January 1, 2006
A blog on higher education, specializing in humanities education, its relevance and purpose in an electronic environment. A blog on higher education, s…
- DRM threatens 'fair use' rights
January 1, 2006
In his most recent rant about DRM (Jobs iPod Hi-Fi: Home stereo reinvented? Or load of HorseCRAP?), David Berlind once again reminds us why we should rail against Apple and its iTunes Music Service…