Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Blazing Trails: Launching the First Online Degree Completion Program at the University of Washington, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2014.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013. Based on the experiences of the six NGLC grant recipients, this report discusses suggestions for future development and adoption of learning analytics.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Game Changers: Education and Information Technologies, EDUCAUSE E-Book. 2012. The following chapters from the book specifically address the use of learning analytics in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- Learning Analytics: Institutional & Research Perspectives, ELI Web Seminar, January 2012. This seminar highlights three institutional learning analytics projects at the University of Phoenix, University of Saskatchewan, and the UK Open University.
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
- Harnessing the Power of Technology, Openness, and Collaboration, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. This article describes how together, Kaleidoscope and OAAI could facilitate a cost-effective systemic approach to address the challenge of college completion.
- 7 Things You Should Know About First-Generation Learning Analytics, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, December 2011. This 7 Things discusses how learning analytics (LA) collects and analyzes the “digital breadcrumbs” that students leave as they interact with various computer systems to look for correlations between those activities and learning outcomes.
- Feedback Loops, Analytics, and Open Educational Resources: The Innovative Braid of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. ELI Web Seminar, June 2011. Participants in the Statway Networked Improvement Community share data and analytics on what works—for what students, under what conditions—to continue to improve student learning.
- Learning Analytics: The Coming Third Wave. ELI Brief, April 2011. This ELI brief both serves as a report on the LAK11 conference and summarizes the larger picture for LA, based on the papers and discussions at the conference.
- Learning Analytics: A Foundation for Informed Change in Higher Education. ELI Web Seminar, January 2011. This presentation offers a broad introduction to the concept of learning analytics, detail practical implementations, and discuss future options for an analytics-focused university.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- Mobile IT—2011 ECAR Survey Questionnaire
July 14, 2011
This is the July 2011 ECAR survey instrument used for the ECAR study of information technology mobility in higher education. The study updates and expands our community’s understanding of how …
- ECAR 2011 Student Survey Crosswalk
October 14, 2011
In 2011, ECAR conducted two versions of its annual survey of undergraduates and information technology. This crosswalk compares questions in the two survey instruments: the February 2011 Stude…
- ECAR National Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2011—Survey Questionnaire
October 14, 2011
This is the June 2011 ECAR survey instrument used for the ECAR National Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2011 . The 2011 ECAR study was conducted in collaboration w…
- Students and Information Technology in Higher Education: 2011—Survey Questionnaire
February 28, 2011
This is the February 2011 ECAR survey instrument used for the ECAR research study of student information technology use and skills in higher education. Citation for This Work : EDUCAUSE C…
- IT Workforce and Leadership in Higher Education, 2010 Survey Questionnaire
June 28, 2010
This June 2010 survey is a critical component of a new EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) study that will expand our community's understanding of the issues and concerns of cu…
- Students and Information Technology in Higher Education: 2010 Survey Questionnaire
February 22, 2010
This is the February 2010 ECAR survey instrument used for the ECAR research study of student information technology use and skills in higher education. Citation for This Work : EDUCAUSE Cen…
- Classroom Technology Survey
December 9, 2009
Kyle Johnson posted an informal classroom technology survey query to the CIO list in November 2009, these are those results. Kyle Johnson posted …
- IT Funding Crisis Management Survey Questionnaire
November 10, 2009
This November 2009 survey is a critical component of the EDUCAUSE Center on Applied Research (ECAR) study on key issues related to the impact of the economic crisis on information technology fund…
- Printing Survey
July 22, 2009
These are results of an informal survey from the EDUCAUSE CIO listserv on student's printing limits. The questions asked are as follows; How many pages is a student allowed to print per …
- Pedagogical & Technological Support for Active Learning Classrooms
July 22, 2009
A survey to determine the pedagogical and technological supports available within the active learning classroom (ALC) environment was sent June 1, 2009. The invitation for survey responses (inclu…