Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Improving Student Graduation Rates Using Data Insights and Predictive Modeling December 16, 2014, EDUCAUSE Live!. As part of an overall plan to improve student graduation rates, Harper College and Dell developed a student retention model that quickly identifies at-risk students and delivers the information to key stakeholders, allowing early intervention to increase student success.
- IPAS Implementation Handbook, October 13, 2014. While the use of analytics to promote student success is gaining in popularity, basic questions about what IPAS is and the issues institutions face during implementation and integration. The IPAS Implementation Handbook catalogs the experiences, observations, and practical advice from 19 institutions engaged in IPAS implementation projects.
- Septris and SICKO: Implementing and Using Learning Analytics and Gamification in Medical Education, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative, March 2014. To investigate and capitalize on the growth of gaming and learning analytics and apply it to education, Stanford School of Medicine developed two educational games. Septris and its successor, SICKO (Surgical Improvement of Clinical Knowledge Ops), are web-based educational games developed by a cross-disciplinary team of doctors, web developers, and instructional technologists.
- Blazing Trails: Launching the First Online Degree Completion Program at the University of Washington, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2014.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013. Based on the experiences of the six NGLC grant recipients, this report discusses suggestions for future development and adoption of learning analytics.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- Research Data Storage: A Framework for Success
July 15, 2014
The ECAR Data Management Working Group (ECAR-DM) has created a framework for research data storage as an aid for higher education institutions establishing and evaluating their institution’s …
- XSEDE Cloud Survey Report
September 24, 2013
A National Science Foundation-sponsored cloud user survey was conducted from September 2012 to April 2013 by the XSEDE Cloud Integration Investigation Team to better understand how cloud is used …
- Developing a Coherent Cyberinfrastructure from Local Campuses to National Facilities: Challenges and Strategies
April 2, 2009
This report summarizes the observations and recommendations from a workshop in July 2008 sponsored by the EDUCAUSE Net@EDU Campus Cyberinfrastructure Working Group (CCI) and the Coalition for Aca…
- What Do Researchers Need? Higher Education IT from the Researcherâ€™s Perspective
August 17, 2006
Research methods, research subjects, the composition of research teams, and collaborative practices have all been affected in ways that are important to those who manage research and information …
- An Interview with Patrick Dreher
October 19, 2006
In this 18 minute recording, Bill Hogue sits down with MIT's Patrick Dreher for a discussion about research computing, cyberinfrastructure, and open content. See also: …
- An Interview with Microsoft's Tony Hey
December 12, 2005
In this 21 minute recording, I sit down with Tony Hey, Microsoft's VP for Technical Computing. Let's listen in as he compares e-science research in the US and UK, talks about the pr…
- An Interview with Julie Little (UT)
November 1, 2005
In this recording, Julie Little and I sit down for a 19 minute chat about mobile computing, the role of information technology in supporting research, and issues involving promotion and ten…
- Results of the 2011 Core Data Survey
October 19, 2011
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2011 Annual Conference
The EDUCAUSE Core Data Service (CDS) is in its ninth year. It has been completely overhauled to expand beyond the original focus on higher education IT costs and staffing. The CDS will now provide…
- Steps to a Cloud-Ready Data Center
October 13, 2010
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference
Current data center networks limit scalability and flexibility. This session will present a three-step approach to a cloud-ready data center: simplify, share, secure. Simplify by creating simple, s…
- Legal Perspectives on Data Security
February 22, 2007
A session at the Cybersecurity Summit 2007 for NSF Large Research Facilities
This session will provide an overview of legal and regulatory requirements and emerging liability trends that influence the protection of research data for the scientific community. Specific case h…