Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports [x]
Filter by Publications
- EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) [x]
- Research Bulletins (262)
- Research Report (93)
- ECAR Case Studies (84)
- Key Findings (35)
- Roadmaps (31)
- Research Hub (15)
- Advanced Core Technologies Initiative (ACTI) (10)
- Survey Instruments (10)
- ECAR Interactive Graphics and Infographics (8)
- Presentations (5)
- Occasional Papers (4)
- ECAR Campus Cyberinfrastructure Working Group (3)
- ECAR Communications Infrastructure and Applications WG (1)
- ECAR Data Management WG (1)
- ECAR Mobile Strategy and Application Development WG (1)
- EDUCAUSE Publications (6)
- EDUCAUSE Policy Office (1)
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (397)
- Teaching and Learning (179)
- Networking and Emerging Technologies (137)
- Information Systems and Services (120)
- Planning (118)
- Policy and Law (91)
- Cybersecurity (87)
- Institutional Management (87)
- Instructional Technologies (79)
- Federal Policy and Law (71)
- Security Management (67)
- Staffing (62)
- E-Learning (60)
- Support Services (60)
- High-Performance Computing (HPC) (57)
- Leadership (53)
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) (52)
- Collaboration (50)
- Libraries and Technology (50)
- Financial Management (49)
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013. Based on the experiences of the six NGLC grant recipients, this report discusses suggestions for future development and adoption of learning analytics.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Game Changers: Education and Information Technologies, EDUCAUSE E-Book. 2012. The following chapters from the book specifically address the use of learning analytics in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- Learning Analytics: Institutional & Research Perspectives, ELI Web Seminar, January 2012. This seminar highlights three institutional learning analytics projects at the University of Phoenix, University of Saskatchewan, and the UK Open University.
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
- Harnessing the Power of Technology, Openness, and Collaboration, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. This article describes how together, Kaleidoscope and OAAI could facilitate a cost-effective systemic approach to address the challenge of college completion.
- 7 Things You Should Know About First-Generation Learning Analytics, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, December 2011. This 7 Things discusses how learning analytics (LA) collects and analyzes the “digital breadcrumbs” that students leave as they interact with various computer systems to look for correlations between those activities and learning outcomes.
- Feedback Loops, Analytics, and Open Educational Resources: The Innovative Braid of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. ELI Web Seminar, June 2011. Participants in the Statway Networked Improvement Community share data and analytics on what works—for what students, under what conditions—to continue to improve student learning.
- Learning Analytics: The Coming Third Wave. ELI Brief, April 2011. This ELI brief both serves as a report on the LAK11 conference and summarizes the larger picture for LA, based on the papers and discussions at the conference.
- Learning Analytics: A Foundation for Informed Change in Higher Education. ELI Web Seminar, January 2011. This presentation offers a broad introduction to the concept of learning analytics, detail practical implementations, and discuss future options for an analytics-focused university.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- Measuring the Effectiveness of Security Awareness Programs
December 10, 2013
Security awareness is a core component of an information security program. Many information security professionals struggle, however, with delivering security awareness messages and mea…
- 2014 Planning Guide for Data Management
December 9, 2013
Gartner's 2014 planning guide for data management can help institutions who are tracking, planning, or even implementing data management programs. The guide covers such concepts as big data,…
- Today’s Higher Education IT Workforce
January 13, 2014
Key Findings Soft skills are rated by chief information officers (CIOs), managers, and staff alike as being the most important skills for success. Technical proficiency was rated relati…
- What MOOCs Mean to Today’s Students and Institutions
October 7, 2013
This research bulletin uses data from ECAR research on students and IT and on e-learning to paint a picture of the role MOOCs currently play in higher education and the directions MOOCs…
- Transitioning to IPv6
October 7, 2013
Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6), the named successor to the current networking protocol that supports the transport of traffic across the Internet, is a more mature standard that appropriately…
- ECAR Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2013
September 16, 2013
Key Findings See the 2013 report for a full list of key messages, findings, and supporting data. Students recognize the value of technology but still need guidance when it comes to b…
- Progress in Meeting Demand for Mobile IT
September 19, 2013
Higher education increasingly provides mobile access to a range of services, apps, and websites, resulting in on-the-go convenience, efficiency, and greater end-user satisfaction. Students, f…
- Integrated Planning and Advising Services Benchmarking Study
August 30, 2013
2013 IPAS Benchmarking Study Participants Arapahoe Community College Arizona State University California State University, East Bay Canada College …
- Gender Diversity among Higher Education CIOs
September 9, 2013
Women’s presence in the IT profession in general, and as top executives in particular, has been a theme garnering much attention over the past several years. At a time when women make up …
- Develop a Strategic Road Map for Postmodern ERP in 2013 and Beyond
September 2, 2013
This Gartner report posits that the all-encompassing ERP suite was killed by megavendors when they realized they couldn't keep up with users' needs and had to acquire, rather than build…