Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
- EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) [x]
- Research Bulletins (273)
- Research Report (91)
- Presentations (86)
- ECAR Case Studies (84)
- Survey Instruments (57)
- Key Findings (35)
- Roadmaps (31)
- Advanced Core Technologies Initiative (ACTI) (23)
- Research Hub (19)
- ECAR Interactive Graphics and Infographics (16)
- ECAR Working Group (15)
- Just In Time Research (2)
- EDUCAUSE Publications (20)
- EDUCAUSE Policy Office (2)
- EDUCAUSE Review Online (1)
Filter by Presentations
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Septris and SICKO: Implementing and Using Learning Analytics and Gamification in Medical Education, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative, March 2014. To investigate and capitalize on the growth of gaming and learning analytics and apply it to education, Stanford School of Medicine developed two educational games. Septris and its successor, SICKO (Surgical Improvement of Clinical Knowledge Ops), are web-based educational games developed by a cross-disciplinary team of doctors, web developers, and instructional technologists.
- Blazing Trails: Launching the First Online Degree Completion Program at the University of Washington, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2014.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013. Based on the experiences of the six NGLC grant recipients, this report discusses suggestions for future development and adoption of learning analytics.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Game Changers: Education and Information Technologies, EDUCAUSE E-Book. 2012. The following chapters from the book specifically address the use of learning analytics in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- Learning Analytics: Institutional & Research Perspectives, ELI Web Seminar, January 2012. This seminar highlights three institutional learning analytics projects at the University of Phoenix, University of Saskatchewan, and the UK Open University.
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
- Harnessing the Power of Technology, Openness, and Collaboration, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. This article describes how together, Kaleidoscope and OAAI could facilitate a cost-effective systemic approach to address the challenge of college completion.
- 7 Things You Should Know About First-Generation Learning Analytics, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, December 2011. This 7 Things discusses how learning analytics (LA) collects and analyzes the “digital breadcrumbs” that students leave as they interact with various computer systems to look for correlations between those activities and learning outcomes.
- Feedback Loops, Analytics, and Open Educational Resources: The Innovative Braid of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. ELI Web Seminar, June 2011. Participants in the Statway Networked Improvement Community share data and analytics on what works—for what students, under what conditions—to continue to improve student learning.
- Learning Analytics: The Coming Third Wave. ELI Brief, April 2011. This ELI brief both serves as a report on the LAK11 conference and summarizes the larger picture for LA, based on the papers and discussions at the conference.
- Learning Analytics: A Foundation for Informed Change in Higher Education. ELI Web Seminar, January 2011. This presentation offers a broad introduction to the concept of learning analytics, detail practical implementations, and discuss future options for an analytics-focused university.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- 2005 ResNet Survey Results: A Baseline Analysis
September 27, 2005
This research bulletin discusses the results of the first (2005) survey conducted by the ResNet Applied Research Group (RARG), the research arm of the ResNet organization. The ResNet organizationâ€¦
- 2012 ECAR Study of Analytics in Higher Education
June 15, 2012
Key Findings Analytics is widely viewed as important, but data use at most institutions is still limited to reporting. Analytics programs are most successful when various constituentsâ€â€¦
- 2012 ECAR Study of Analytics in Higher Education Infographic
June 22, 2012
The objectives of this research were to assess the current state of analytics in higher education, outline the challenges and barriers to using analytics, and develop a maturity index to provide â€¦
- 2014 Planning Guide for Data Management
December 9, 2013
Gartner's 2014 planning guide for data management can help institutions who are tracking, planning, or even implementing data management programs. The guide covers such concepts as big data,â€¦
- 2014 Student and Faculty Technology Research Studies
August 18, 2014
EDUCAUSE Technology Research in the Academic Community This research can catalyze conversations among IT professionals about how to better serve their constituents; among institutional leadersâ€¦
- 2025: Your Data--Valuable and Viable?
December 4, 2009
A session at the ECAR Symposium 2009
December 4, 2009 ECAR09_192229 â€¦
- A Case of Good Management: IT Alignment at Calvin College
May 10, 2004
This case study explores the information technology vision, processes, plans, and structures that create alignment with institutional goals at Calvin College. Calvin is a comprehensive, liberal aâ€¦
- A Collaborative IT Support Model for Research at Georgetown University
July 14, 2006
This case study depicts the formation, characteristics, and organizational success factors of Georgetown University's Advanced Research Computing (ARC) division. In collaboration with univerâ€¦
- A Different Kind of ERP: Extending and Renewing Legacy Systems
March 4, 2003
Rather than make the significant investment required for an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, some campuses explicitly choose a strategy of retaining and renewing their legacy systems. Tâ€¦
- A Dozen Gurus Describe IT Collaborations That Work
May 22, 2012
What factors are most important when evaluating a specific IT collaboration? To answer this question, the authors asked an experienced group of IT leaders to analyze collaborations with wâ€¦