Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- Instructional Design [x]
- Learning Analytics [x]
- Student Learning Support (7)
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) (5)
- Assessment and Evaluation (4)
- Blended Learning (2)
- E-Learning (2)
- IT Integration (2)
- Instructional Technologies (2)
- Learning Environments (2)
- Online Teaching Strategies (2)
- Student Engagement and Interaction (2)
- Mobile Learning (1)
- Multimedia (1)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (9)
- Information Systems and Services (7)
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Septris and SICKO: Implementing and Using Learning Analytics and Gamification in Medical Education, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative, March 2014. To investigate and capitalize on the growth of gaming and learning analytics and apply it to education, Stanford School of Medicine developed two educational games. Septris and its successor, SICKO (Surgical Improvement of Clinical Knowledge Ops), are web-based educational games developed by a cross-disciplinary team of doctors, web developers, and instructional technologists.
- Blazing Trails: Launching the First Online Degree Completion Program at the University of Washington, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2014.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013. Based on the experiences of the six NGLC grant recipients, this report discusses suggestions for future development and adoption of learning analytics.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Game Changers: Education and Information Technologies, EDUCAUSE E-Book. 2012. The following chapters from the book specifically address the use of learning analytics in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- Learning Analytics: Institutional & Research Perspectives, ELI Web Seminar, January 2012. This seminar highlights three institutional learning analytics projects at the University of Phoenix, University of Saskatchewan, and the UK Open University.
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
- Harnessing the Power of Technology, Openness, and Collaboration, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. This article describes how together, Kaleidoscope and OAAI could facilitate a cost-effective systemic approach to address the challenge of college completion.
- 7 Things You Should Know About First-Generation Learning Analytics, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, December 2011. This 7 Things discusses how learning analytics (LA) collects and analyzes the “digital breadcrumbs” that students leave as they interact with various computer systems to look for correlations between those activities and learning outcomes.
- Feedback Loops, Analytics, and Open Educational Resources: The Innovative Braid of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. ELI Web Seminar, June 2011. Participants in the Statway Networked Improvement Community share data and analytics on what works—for what students, under what conditions—to continue to improve student learning.
- Learning Analytics: The Coming Third Wave. ELI Brief, April 2011. This ELI brief both serves as a report on the LAK11 conference and summarizes the larger picture for LA, based on the papers and discussions at the conference.
- Learning Analytics: A Foundation for Informed Change in Higher Education. ELI Web Seminar, January 2011. This presentation offers a broad introduction to the concept of learning analytics, detail practical implementations, and discuss future options for an analytics-focused university.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- Using Technology to Increase Quality Time on Task
September 4, 2013
Key Takeaways Designing courses in a way that helps students spend more time on task can contribute to improvements in both learning and study habits . Academic p…
- Using Analytics at UMBC: Encouraging Student Responsibility and Identifying Effective Course Designs
April 30, 2013
Higher education invests considerable resources into technology for academic purposes, but understanding whether those instructional technologies improve learning is often a difficult questio…
- CETIS Analytics Series: Case Study, Acting on Assessment Analytics
April 10, 2013
In this JISC publication, authors Shelia MacNeill and Dr Cath Ellis, from the University of Huddersfield, explain Dr. Ellis' interest in learning analytics and how she and colleagues are mak…
- Touchstone Education: Merit Prep Newark
November 28, 2012
Updated November 2013 The model for this 6-12 charter school located in Newark, NJ hinges on six key values: achievement, innovation, excellence, teamwork, urgency, and integrity , and …
- Increasing Student Success: Evaluating the Effectiveness of U-Pace Instruction at UWM
September 6, 2012
Two faculty at the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee developed the technology-enabled instructional approach known as U-Pace , which combines self-paced, mastery-based learning with in…
- Cultivating Change in the Academy: 50+ Stories from the Digital Frontlines at the University of Minnesota in 2012
July 9, 2012
Cultivating Change is an eBook designed to stimulate discussion about what’s possible as well as generate new vision and academic technology direction. It serves as a means for faculty, ins…
- Navigating the Waters of Learning Analytics
July 24, 2012
Malcolm Brown, Director , and Veronica Diaz, Associate Director, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Navigating the waters of learning analytics (LA) requires steering a careful course between…
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session
May 9, 2012
On April 11 and 12, 2012, the ELI teaching and learning community gathered for an online focus session on learning analytics (LA) . This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, them…
- ELI Releases New White Paper on Learning Analytics
May 10, 2012
ELI has released a new white paper, Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session , by Malcolm Brown, director, and Veronica Diaz, associate director, ELI. On April 11 a…
- Synthesis of the ELI 2012 Online Spring Focus Session
May 9, 2012
Just four weeks ago the ELI 2012 Online Spring Focus Session on learning analytics finished. One of the presenters and participants, Christopher Brooks, BSc, MSc of ARIES Laboratory, Univers…