Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Assessment and Evaluation [x]
- Learning Analytics [x]
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- Analytics (31)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (31)
- Institutional Management (31)
- Student Success (17)
- Outcomes Assessment (15)
- Instructional Technologies (11)
- Student Retention (9)
- Teaching (9)
- Learning (8)
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) (7)
- Student Learning Support (7)
- Information Systems and Services (6)
- Students (6)
- Academic Analytics (5)
- Instructional Design (5)
- Data Administration and Management (4)
- Data Mining (4)
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Game Changers: Education and Information Technologies, EDUCAUSE E-Book. 2012. The following chapters from the book specifically address the use of learning analytics in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- Learning Analytics: Institutional & Research Perspectives, ELI Web Seminar, January 2012. This seminar highlights three institutional learning analytics projects at the University of Phoenix, University of Saskatchewan, and the UK Open University.
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
- Harnessing the Power of Technology, Openness, and Collaboration, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. This article describes how together, Kaleidoscope and OAAI could facilitate a cost-effective systemic approach to address the challenge of college completion.
- 7 Things You Should Know About First-Generation Learning Analytics, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, December 2011. This 7 Things discusses how learning analytics (LA) collects and analyzes the “digital breadcrumbs” that students leave as they interact with various computer systems to look for correlations between those activities and learning outcomes.
- Feedback Loops, Analytics, and Open Educational Resources: The Innovative Braid of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. ELI Web Seminar, June 2011. Participants in the Statway Networked Improvement Community share data and analytics on what works—for what students, under what conditions—to continue to improve student learning.
- Learning Analytics: The Coming Third Wave. ELI Brief, April 2011. This ELI brief both serves as a report on the LAK11 conference and summarizes the larger picture for LA, based on the papers and discussions at the conference.
- Learning Analytics: A Foundation for Informed Change in Higher Education. ELI Web Seminar, January 2011. This presentation offers a broad introduction to the concept of learning analytics, detail practical implementations, and discuss future options for an analytics-focused university.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- 7 Things You Should Know About First-Generation Learning Analytics
December 6, 2011
Learning analytics (LA) applies the model of analytics to the specific goal of improving learning outcomes. LA collects and analyzes the “digital breadcrumbs” that students leave as th…
- A Case for Leveraging the Online Grade Book (Research-Based)
February 15, 2011
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2011
Research shows students value checking grades and accessing practice quizzes more than any other function in a course management system, yet few instructors use these online "killer apps"…
- App Predicts Student GPA, Course Grades Before Semester Starts
March 16, 2012
Demonstrating the potential of analytics to inform student management of their academic careers, the provost at Austin Peay State University has developed an application, Degree Compass , tha…
- Assessing Impact: Approaches and Designs for Answering Practical Questions About Technology Implementation
April 13, 2011
A session at the ELI 2011 Online Spring Focus Session
Beginning with the framing of researchable questions, this presentation will review a variety of quantitative and qualitative methods that can be used to investigate the impact of technology on t…
- Backgrounds and Behaviors of MOOC Participants and Implications for Faculty
April 4, 2013
A session at the ELI Online Spring Focus Session: Learning and the MOOC
In spring 2012, the first MIT/edX MOOC, "Circuits and Electronics" (6.002x), was open to students around the world. A team of researchers from MIT and Harvard has been analyzing data gene…
- Bigfoot, Goldilocks, and Moonshots: A Report from the Frontiers of Personalized Learning
April 1, 2013
The creativity of higher education innovators has produced three categories of solutions with the potential to break the "iron triangle" of cost, quality, and access. …
- Bootstrapping Your Analytics
October 3, 2011
Join Malcolm Brown, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative director, and Veronica Diaz, ELI associate director, as they moderate this webinar with Vernon Smith, vice president of academic affairs at Rio S…
- CETIS Analytics Series: Case Study, Acting on Assessment Analytics
April 10, 2013
In this JISC publication, authors Shelia MacNeill and Dr Cath Ellis, from the University of Huddersfield, explain Dr. Ellis' interest in learning analytics and how she and colleagues are mak…
- Chapter 15: The Open Learning Initiative: Enacting Instruction Online
May 2, 2012
A chapter from Game Changers Ross Strader and Candace Thille This chapter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License New technologies are oft…
- Clickers in the Classroom: Transforming Students into Active Learners
July 5, 2011
This research bulletin discusses a program at the University of South Carolina to implement SRSs in the classroom and to study the impacts that the technology has on student outcomes. In our…