Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
The 2013 Horizon Report describes learning analytics as the "Field associated with deciphering trends and patterns from educational big data, or huge sets of student-related data, to further the advancement of a personalized, supportive system of higher education." Below are articles, presentations and seminars that further discuss the growing use of learning analytics in higher education and the benefit students gain from it.
- Improving Student Graduation Rates Using Data Insights and Predictive Modeling December 16, 2014, EDUCAUSE Live!. As part of an overall plan to improve student graduation rates, Harper College and Dell developed a student retention model that quickly identifies at-risk students and delivers the information to key stakeholders, allowing early intervention to increase student success.
- IPAS Implementation Handbook, October 13, 2014. While the use of analytics to promote student success is gaining in popularity, basic questions about what IPAS is and the issues institutions face during implementation and integration. The IPAS Implementation Handbook catalogs the experiences, observations, and practical advice from 19 institutions engaged in IPAS implementation projects.
- Septris and SICKO: Implementing and Using Learning Analytics and Gamification in Medical Education, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative, March 2014. To investigate and capitalize on the growth of gaming and learning analytics and apply it to education, Stanford School of Medicine developed two educational games. Septris and its successor, SICKO (Surgical Improvement of Clinical Knowledge Ops), are web-based educational games developed by a cross-disciplinary team of doctors, web developers, and instructional technologists.
- Blazing Trails: Launching the First Online Degree Completion Program at the University of Washington, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 2014.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013. Based on the experiences of the six NGLC grant recipients, this report discusses suggestions for future development and adoption of learning analytics.
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics, EDUCAUSE Paper, February 2013. This report discusses how leading institutions in higher education and vendors are building capacity in analytics to improve student success.
- Leadership and Learning Analytics, ELI Brief, November 2012. This brief highlights some of the primary issues and processes for leading an organization in the deployment and use of learning analytics, and it raises broad, conceptual questions about how best to use learning analytics to develop and strengthen learning skills among undergraduates.
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. This session highlights a course recommendation system that successfully pairs current students with the courses that best fit their talents and program of study for upcoming semesters.
- When Learning Analytics Meet Big Data: The PAR Framework. EDUCAUSE Annaul Conference, November 2012. This session offers a panel presentation and discussion of results from the PAR Framework proof-of-concept phase of development, featuring the unique perspectives of PAR Framework Founding Partners.
- Learning Analytics: Moving from Concept to Practice, July 2012. This ELI Brief describes the evolution of learning analytics (LA) over the past year. Including ways in which LA differs from other kinds of analytics; different kinds of indicators and their relative predictive value; visualizations of the findings from and LA program; and the kinds of interventions that might be included in an effective analytics initiative.
- The entire issue of EDUCAUSE Review Online, July/August 2012 is devoted to the topic of analytics in higher education. Subjects explored include how the use of analytics can help address higher education accountability, affordability, productivity, and student success.
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session, May 2012. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. This white paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources. It represents a harvesting of the key elements that we, as a teaching and learning community, need to keep in mind as we work to explore how LA can be helpful for instructors (regarding learning activities and course design), for students (regarding progress), and for administrators (regarding course and degree completion data).
- The State of Learning Analytics in 2012: A Review and Future Challenges, The Open University, March 2012. Author Rebecca Ferguson from the Open University's Knowledge Media Institute, provides a detailed look at the history of Learning Analytics research and what the future may hold.
- Leaping the Chasm: Moving from Buzzwords to Implementation of Learning Analytics, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 2012. This session explores the roots of learning analytics as well as the context in which they are now being considered in higher education.
- Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?, O'Reilly Strata Conference 2012. This video of Steve Schoettler of Junyo, discusses how the use of data mining tools could be used to develop a better understanding of how students learn and how schools can use that to advance student success.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Analytics
- Teaching and Learning: 2014 in Retrospect, 2015 in Prospect
December 8, 2014
A session at the Teaching and Learning: 2014 in Retrospect, 2015 in Prospect
The past year has been an eventful one for teaching and learning in higher education. There have been developments in all areas, including analytics, the LMS, online education, and learning space…
- Behind the Curtain: Technologies Supporting Student Success
September 30, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference
As institutions explore ways to address student success, they are leveraging technologies in new ways. Learn about technologies supporting a student advising process redesign, resulting in enhanc…
- Student Performance, Assessment, and Technology Outcomes: Defining Relationships for Effective Assessment
March 17, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Connect: Chicago
The assessment of learning is becoming nuanced as technology-mediated solutions are more widely available and implemented. Publisher text content has moved from cartridge to interactive to adapti…
- A Learning Analytics Approach to Academic Assessment
May 1, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Connect: Baltimore
Higher education institutions collect student data through many channels: student information systems, learning management systems, e-portfolios, and more. Analyzing this data effectively is crit…
- From Data to Action: Driving Innovation through Predictive Analytics
September 10, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - From Data to Action
Higher education institutions are increasingly looking to deliver and analyze data to drive results. Colleges and universities are working to increase student retention and assist students' …
- Do Clicks Count to Increase Student Achievement? Learner Analytics on a Large-Enrollment Hybrid Course - Sponsored furniture provided by Steelcase, Gold Partner
October 16, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
Improving student persistence through academic technologies, especially among underrepresented minority students, is a goal at many colleges and universities. This presentation will discuss a pilot…
- Real-Time Visual Analytics to Evaluate Online Collaboration
March 12, 2013
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference
In this interactive session, participants will explore the use of learning analytics to improve the design and facilitation of online discussions. These emerging analytics tools provide real-time v…
- Using Analytics to Support Academic Advising for At-Risk STEM Students
February 5, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Annual Meeting
Recent efforts using learning analytics have been limited in scope (e.g., well-defined problem spaces) and in scale (targeting individual courses, using proprietary software). We will describe an…
- Using Analytics to Examine Course Design and Identify Effective Practices
February 6, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Annual Meeting
UMBC has long had an interest in identifying the most active Blackboard courses for the purposes of identifying effective practices and practitioners. Participation in the field trial for Bb Anal…
- Student Success at Scale: What Have We Learned from Applying Technology to Persistent Challenges? - Sponsored by IHD ServiceDesk
November 7, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
Multiple efforts are under way to leverage technology to improve student success, including initiatives in online courseware, adaptive learning, social media, and learning analytics. What have we…
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- Learning Analytics [x]
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) [x]
- Student Learning Support (5)
- Instructional Design (3)
- Outcomes Assessment (3)
- Student Engagement and Interaction (3)
- Assessment and Evaluation (2)
- Instructional Technologies (2)
- E-Learning (1)
- E-Portfolios (1)
- Learning Space (1)
- Online Learning (1)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (10)
- Information Systems and Services (7)