Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Computing Facilities [x]
- Instructional Computing Facilities [x]
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (26)
- Technology-enhanced Classrooms (16)
- Electronic Classrooms (12)
- Computing Labs (6)
- 27796 (4)
- Distributed Computing (4)
- Mobile Computing (4)
- 30398 (2)
- Laptop and Notebook Computing (2)
The introduction of information technologies into teaching and learning prompted educators to reexamine the spaces where learning takes place and to design new learning spaces that take fuller advantages of the possibilities that technology offers. The work done on learning spaces has been extremely valuable and serves as the foundation for an expanded look at other factors that affect learning and the context in which learning spaces exist. Those factors include space, but a broader look at the conditions and circumstances of learning reveals that learning is equally influenced by people, by technology and the resources it affords access to, and by the cultural backdrop against which learning takes place. These elements come together in a new, broader discussion of learning environments, which builds on the resources and knowledge generated about learning spaces.
The term learning environment encompasses learning resources and technology, means of teaching, modes of learning, and connections to societal and global contexts. The term also includes human behavioral and cultural dimensions, including the vital role of emotion in learning, and it requires us to examine and sometimes rethink the roles of teachers and students. The focus on information technology in education is expanding from the enhancement of learning spaces to include factors beyond hardware, software, and the network. The learning environment is a composite of human practices and material systems, much as an ecology is the combination of living things and the physical environment.
Articles and Reports
- The Connected Learning Environment, EDUCAUSE Brief, July 2013. This brief describes three hallmark characteristics of connected learning and provides several examples that illustrate each characteristic.
- Privacy Considerations in Cloud-Based Teaching and Learning Environments, ELI White Paper, November 2010.
- The following EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine themed issues contain various articles on Learning Enviroments;
- Making the Case for Space: Three Years of Empirical Research on Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2010
- Reflections on Play, Pedagogy, and World of Warcraft, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2010
- Eight Simple Ways to Embrace the "Froom", EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 32, No. 4, 2009
- Learning Environments: Where Space, Technology, and Culture Converge, ELI white paper, October 2009
- ELI 7 Things You Should Know About...
- Active Learning Classrooms Pilot Evaluation: Fall 2007 Findings and Recommendations, University of Minnesota, 2007. Report and Web Site
- New Learning Environments for the 21st Century, John Seely Brown, Aspen Symposium 2005
- EDUCAUS Learning Initiative 2010 Annual Meeting, "Learning Environments for a Web 2.0 World"
- EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative 2009 Online Fall Focus Session, "Flattening the Classroom: Building Collaborative Learning Environments"
- EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative 2008 Fall Focus Session, "Revisting Learning Space Design"
Conference Sessions, Videos, and Web Seminars
- The Future of Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Video, July 2010
- Building Best Practices for Data-Driven Assessment of Technology-Enabled Learning Spaces, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Stanford University's Wallenberg Hall: Looking Back, Looking Forward, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Clickers and Peer Instruction: A Powerful Way to Improve Student Engagement and Learning, but Only If You Do It Right, ELI Web Seminar, October 05, 2009
- A Space of One's Own: Learning Environments Derived from User-Centered Discovery Techniques, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 21, 2008
- Guidelines for Implementing Authentic Tasks in Web-Based Learning Environments, ELI Web Seminar, November 3, 2008
- Creating Learning Environments that Promote Active Learning, Critical Thinking, Collaborative Learning, and Knowledge Creation, A Solutions in Action Webcast, September 21, 2009
- Powerful But Not a Panacea: Virtual Worlds as a Tool for Situational Learning, ELI Web Seminar, February 19, 2008
- Assessing What Students Learn in Technology-Based Learning Environments, ELI Web Seminar, September 15, 2006
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Environments
- Partnering for Transformative Teaching
July 1, 2013
Key Takeaways Innovation in the curricula , including experimentation with technologies and learning spaces, is most likely to be effective when driven by faculty and student need…
- Role-Differentiated Responses to Active Learning Classrooms: The University of Minnesota
November 1, 2012
Technology-enhanced learning spaces called Active Learning Classrooms (ALCs ) have become an important component of the teaching and learning paradigm at the University of Minnesota. Since Aug…
- What Happened to the Computer Lab?
February 3, 2010
Over 80 percent of respondents to the annual ECAR study of undergraduate students report owning laptops, yet usage of expensive public computer labs remains high. Although computer labs might sti…
- A Long-Term View for Learning Spaces
March 20, 2009
© 2009 Joan K. Lippincott, Clare C. van den Blink, Martin Lewis, Crit Stuart, and Lauren Brady Oswald EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 44, no. 2 (March/April 2009): 10–11 A Long-Term View for L…
- The Learning Space
February 18, 2009
The primary intent of this web blog is to provide an environment which offers mediated resources in teaching and learning, guidance in classroom design, instructional design, and digital media cr…
- Design Guidelines: Learning Environments
January 1, 2006
The University of Cincinnati's guidelines on constructing learning environments. The University of Cincinnati's guidelines on constructing le…
- Classroom & Technology Design & Construction Minimum Requirements
May 26, 2011
Pennsylvania State University's Classroom & Technology Design & Construction requirements. Includes an archive from 2005 to present. …
- Classroom Standards
January 1, 2004
Construction guidelines for classrooms at North Carolina State University. Construction guidelines for classrooms at North Carolina State Univers…
- Designing Learning Spaces that Promote Engagement
January 1, 2006
In 2005, Estrella Mountain and two corporate partners explored more effective approaches to the traditional classroom learning environment and engaged in discussions that resulted in the unique tra…
- Entering the Interaction Age: Implementing a Future Vision for Campus Learning Spaces
January 1, 2007
© 2007 Andrew J. Milne EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 42, no. 1 (January/February 2007): 12–31 Entering the Interaction Age: Implementing a Future Vision for Campus Learning Spaces...Today …