Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
The introduction of information technologies into teaching and learning prompted educators to reexamine the spaces where learning takes place and to design new learning spaces that take fuller advantages of the possibilities that technology offers. The work done on learning spaces has been extremely valuable and serves as the foundation for an expanded look at other factors that affect learning and the context in which learning spaces exist. Those factors include space, but a broader look at the conditions and circumstances of learning reveals that learning is equally influenced by people, by technology and the resources it affords access to, and by the cultural backdrop against which learning takes place. These elements come together in a new, broader discussion of learning environments, which builds on the resources and knowledge generated about learning spaces.
The term learning environment encompasses learning resources and technology, means of teaching, modes of learning, and connections to societal and global contexts. The term also includes human behavioral and cultural dimensions, including the vital role of emotion in learning, and it requires us to examine and sometimes rethink the roles of teachers and students. The focus on information technology in education is expanding from the enhancement of learning spaces to include factors beyond hardware, software, and the network. The learning environment is a composite of human practices and material systems, much as an ecology is the combination of living things and the physical environment.
Articles and Reports
- The Connected Learning Environment, EDUCAUSE Brief, July 2013. This brief describes three hallmark characteristics of connected learning and provides several examples that illustrate each characteristic.
- Privacy Considerations in Cloud-Based Teaching and Learning Environments, ELI White Paper, November 2010.
- The following EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine themed issues contain various articles on Learning Enviroments;
- Making the Case for Space: Three Years of Empirical Research on Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2010
- Reflections on Play, Pedagogy, and World of Warcraft, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2010
- Eight Simple Ways to Embrace the "Froom", EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 32, No. 4, 2009
- Learning Environments: Where Space, Technology, and Culture Converge, ELI white paper, October 2009
- ELI 7 Things You Should Know About...
- Active Learning Classrooms Pilot Evaluation: Fall 2007 Findings and Recommendations, University of Minnesota, 2007. Report and Web Site
- New Learning Environments for the 21st Century, John Seely Brown, Aspen Symposium 2005
- EDUCAUS Learning Initiative 2010 Annual Meeting, "Learning Environments for a Web 2.0 World"
- EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative 2009 Online Fall Focus Session, "Flattening the Classroom: Building Collaborative Learning Environments"
- EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative 2008 Fall Focus Session, "Revisting Learning Space Design"
Conference Sessions, Videos, and Web Seminars
- The Future of Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Video, July 2010
- Building Best Practices for Data-Driven Assessment of Technology-Enabled Learning Spaces, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Stanford University's Wallenberg Hall: Looking Back, Looking Forward, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Clickers and Peer Instruction: A Powerful Way to Improve Student Engagement and Learning, but Only If You Do It Right, ELI Web Seminar, October 05, 2009
- A Space of One's Own: Learning Environments Derived from User-Centered Discovery Techniques, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 21, 2008
- Guidelines for Implementing Authentic Tasks in Web-Based Learning Environments, ELI Web Seminar, November 3, 2008
- Creating Learning Environments that Promote Active Learning, Critical Thinking, Collaborative Learning, and Knowledge Creation, A Solutions in Action Webcast, September 21, 2009
- Powerful But Not a Panacea: Virtual Worlds as a Tool for Situational Learning, ELI Web Seminar, February 19, 2008
- Assessing What Students Learn in Technology-Based Learning Environments, ELI Web Seminar, September 15, 2006
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Environments
- Chapter 13: Providing Quality Higher Education for Adults
May 2, 2012
A chapter from Game Changers Susan C. Aldridge University of Maryland University College (UMUC) first opened its classrooms in 1947 as a special college at the University of Marylan…
- Chapter 11: SUNY Empire State College: A Game Changer in Open Learning
May 2, 2012
A chapter from Game Changers Meg Benke, Alan Davis, and Nan L. Travers This chapter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License The Learning-F…
- Multiple Lessons Learned from Implementing MOOC Environments at San Jose State University
April 4, 2013
A session at the ELI Online Spring Focus Session: Learning and the MOOC
Provost Ellen Junn will briefly describe how SJSU partnered with two MOOC providers (edX and Udacity) to offer four courses for college credit. She'll summarize a number of significant implica…
- Dynamic Trio: Anytime, Anyplace, Any Path
May 31, 2013
A session at the Southeast Regional Conference
CGTS's current strategy is to build on our existing capabilities to combine instructional delivery, learning environment, and technology into a blended learning model. Instructional delivery…
- In Search of Future-Focused Learning Technologies
May 31, 2011
Jonathon Richter ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) is Research Associate, Center for Advanced Technology in Education, and Director of the Center for Learning in Virtual Environments, at the Un…
- Learning Analytics: The Coming Third Wave
April 13, 2011
Learning analytics (LA) is the third wave of large-scale developments in instructional technology that began with the advent of the learning management system (LMS) . As a compelling diagnost…
- Revitalize, Remix, and Reuse: Preparing Students for the Future Workplace
March 12, 2013
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference
Bucks County Community College has created MInDSpace (Media and Instructional Design Space), an area within learning resources to facilitate student attainment of 21st-century skills to best prep…
- What Makes the Biggest Impact on Student Learning?
March 12, 2013
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference
An instructional designer/adjunct public speaking professor and three of his students at the University at Albany will discuss what teaching strategies and classroom environments (traditional lec…
- The Library Space as Learning Space
November 30, 2010
© 2010 Keith Webster. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ )…
- ELI Releases New Brief on Learning Analytics
May 20, 2011
The EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI) has issued a new brief for ELI members: Learning Analytics: The Coming Third Wave . The brief serves as a report on the first International Con…