Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- Learning Environments [x]
- Learning Space (70)
- Collaborative Learning (44)
- Student Engagement and Interaction (44)
- Instructional Technologies (29)
- Active Learning (27)
- Instructional Design (25)
- Blended Learning (24)
- Personalized Learning (24)
- E-Learning (22)
- Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) (20)
- Collaborative Technologies (19)
- Assessment and Evaluation (18)
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) (18)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (70)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (66)
- Libraries and Technology (18)
The introduction of information technologies into teaching and learning prompted educators to reexamine the spaces where learning takes place and to design new learning spaces that take fuller advantages of the possibilities that technology offers. The work done on learning spaces has been extremely valuable and serves as the foundation for an expanded look at other factors that affect learning and the context in which learning spaces exist. Those factors include space, but a broader look at the conditions and circumstances of learning reveals that learning is equally influenced by people, by technology and the resources it affords access to, and by the cultural backdrop against which learning takes place. These elements come together in a new, broader discussion of learning environments, which builds on the resources and knowledge generated about learning spaces.
The term learning environment encompasses learning resources and technology, means of teaching, modes of learning, and connections to societal and global contexts. The term also includes human behavioral and cultural dimensions, including the vital role of emotion in learning, and it requires us to examine and sometimes rethink the roles of teachers and students. The focus on information technology in education is expanding from the enhancement of learning spaces to include factors beyond hardware, software, and the network. The learning environment is a composite of human practices and material systems, much as an ecology is the combination of living things and the physical environment.
Articles and Reports
- Bridging the Gap: Building a Learning Environment in the Workplace, ELI paper, February 2014. Workplaces don’t typically look like ideal learning environments. That gap reflects a way of thinking that is being replaced with a vision of workplaces designed to be learning organizations. Closing that gap can be a challenge, however, and this paper describes nine elements of learning and explores how and to what extent they appear in most workplaces.
- The Connected Learning Environment, EDUCAUSE Brief, July 2013. This brief describes three hallmark characteristics of connected learning and provides several examples that illustrate each characteristic.
- Privacy Considerations in Cloud-Based Teaching and Learning Environments, ELI White Paper, November 2010.
- The following EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine themed issues contain various articles on Learning Enviroments;
- Making the Case for Space: Three Years of Empirical Research on Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2010
- Reflections on Play, Pedagogy, and World of Warcraft, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2010
- Eight Simple Ways to Embrace the "Froom", EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 32, No. 4, 2009
- Learning Environments: Where Space, Technology, and Culture Converge, ELI white paper, October 2009
- ELI 7 Things You Should Know About...
- Active Learning Classrooms Pilot Evaluation: Fall 2007 Findings and Recommendations, University of Minnesota, 2007. Report and Web Site
- New Learning Environments for the 21st Century, John Seely Brown, Aspen Symposium 2005
- EDUCAUS Learning Initiative 2010 Annual Meeting, "Learning Environments for a Web 2.0 World"
- EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative 2009 Online Fall Focus Session, "Flattening the Classroom: Building Collaborative Learning Environments"
- EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative 2008 Fall Focus Session, "Revisting Learning Space Design"
Conference Sessions, Videos, and Web Seminars
- The Future of Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Video, July 2010
- Building Best Practices for Data-Driven Assessment of Technology-Enabled Learning Spaces, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Stanford University's Wallenberg Hall: Looking Back, Looking Forward, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Clickers and Peer Instruction: A Powerful Way to Improve Student Engagement and Learning, but Only If You Do It Right, ELI Web Seminar, October 05, 2009
- A Space of One's Own: Learning Environments Derived from User-Centered Discovery Techniques, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 21, 2008
- Guidelines for Implementing Authentic Tasks in Web-Based Learning Environments, ELI Web Seminar, November 3, 2008
- Creating Learning Environments that Promote Active Learning, Critical Thinking, Collaborative Learning, and Knowledge Creation, A Solutions in Action Webcast, September 21, 2009
- Powerful But Not a Panacea: Virtual Worlds as a Tool for Situational Learning, ELI Web Seminar, February 19, 2008
- Assessing What Students Learn in Technology-Based Learning Environments, ELI Web Seminar, September 15, 2006
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Environments
- Mixable: A Mobile and Connected Learning Environment
March 29, 2011
Key Takeaways Students increasingly turn to social networks to enable coursework discussions outside of class , a factor that promotes their academic engagement and success. A ne…
- Multiple Lessons Learned from Implementing MOOC Environments at San Jose State University
April 4, 2013
A session at the ELI 2013 Online Spring Focus Session
Provost Ellen Junn will briefly describe how SJSU partnered with two MOOC providers (edX and Udacity) to offer four courses for college credit. She'll summarize a number of significant implica…
- Spotlight on Mobile Computingâ€”Evaluating a Campus-Wide Mobile Learning Initiative: Lessons Learned from ACU's First Three Years
February 17, 2011
Abilene Christian University continues to explore innovative uses of mobile technologies in higher education. Deploying devices to all underclassmen has created unique opportunities to assess the…
- ELI Releases New Brief on Classroom.NEXT
August 15, 2011
The EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI) has issued a new brief for ELI members: Classroom.NEXT: Engaging Faculty and Students in Learning Space Design . The brief explores a project …
- Spotlight on Mobile Computing: Stories of Mobile Learning
January 21, 2011
The University of Maryland is in its third year of a mobility initiative that has encompassed everything from student recruitment to app development to class projects. This session will focus on …
- Privacy Considerations in Cloud-Based Teaching and Learning Environments
January 5, 2011
In this white paper, we outline the privacy issues relevant to using cloud-based instructional tools or cloud-based teaching and learning environments for faculty members and those supporting ins…
- Teaching and Learning in Review: Insights from the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference
December 15, 2010
Key Takeaways A corresponding research methodology should accompany experimentation with emerging technologies in the current fiscal climate. E-textbooks must offer more than cost savin…
- The Library Space as Learning Space
November 30, 2010
© 2010 Keith Webster. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ )…
- ELI Releases New Brief on Learning Analytics
May 20, 2011
The EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI) has issued a new brief for ELI members: Learning Analytics: The Coming Third Wave . The brief serves as a report on the first International Con…
- About This Issue
September 22, 2010
Learning environments mean different things to different groups, from technology-enhanced physical spaces to virtual spaces made possible by technology. The authors in this special issue of EQ …