Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Next Gen Tools: CfA Learning Environment
March 4, 2014
This innovation brief from Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) focuses on the learning environment that College for America has created for its direct assessment, competency-based educat…
- 2013 CDS Executive Summary Report
February 18, 2014
The EDUCAUSE Core Data Service (CDS) provides higher education CIOs and senior IT leaders with the benchmarks they need to make strategic decisions about IT at their institutions. Each ye…
- Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems: EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report
February 12, 2014
Student success has come into sharp focus for higher education. New models have emerged in response to outcome-based funding at the state level and a completion agenda at the national lev…
- Next Gen Tools: Activate Instruction
February 3, 2014
This innovation brief from Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) focuses on Summit Public Schools' co-development of Activate Instruction-- a free, open, online site for curricula…
- Activate Instruction Helps Summit Public Schools Personalize Learning
February 6, 2014
NGLC has embarked upon a new publication series, Next Gen Tools . Today, we share with you the first brief in the series, Next Gen Tools: Activate Instruction . Summit Publi…
- Learning Management Systems (LMS)
Learning Management Systems (LMS) True Selecting and purc…
- Using the LMS as a Social Network in a Supersized Course
January 23, 2014
By Sidneyeve Matrix Sidneyeve Matrix is associate professor, Media & Film, Queen's University. Large class sizes make it infinitely more challenging for college instructors…
- Speeding Up on Curves
January 27, 2014
Curves are full of unknowns, including their shape and whether they are gradually accelerating or decelerating. What are the curves that are reshaping higher education, and what are the smart …
- Facebook as Learning Management System: The Good, the Bad, and the Unexpected
December 6, 2013
Key Takeaways Inspired by a desire to make online courses more engaging for faculty and students, Saybrook University launched Project X , which offers experimental courses …
- ECAR Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2013
September 16, 2013
Key Findings See the 2013 report for a full list of key messages, findings, and supporting data. Students recognize the value of technology but still need guidance when it comes to b…