Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Reclaiming Innovation, EDUCAUSE Review, May/June 2014. Today, innovation is increasingly conflated with hype, disruption for disruption’s sake, and outsourcing laced with a dose of austerity-driven downsizing. The authors discuss how the use of the LMS in higher education has stiffled innovation.
- Selecting a Learning Management System: Advice from an Academic Perspective, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2014. This article stresses the importance of involving all stakeholders in the selection process, offers a step-by-step guide to LMS selection, and enables readers to develop a customized list of LMS features that align with their institution's instructional and learning priorities.
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Building the Connected Learning Platform-One Brick at a Time, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2013.
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- 7 Things You Should Know About LMS Evaluation
May 11, 2011
At many institutions, the current LMS is five or more years old. In that time, the teaching and learning context might have changed considerably, and other products, including open-source o…
- An Open Source LMS for a Mission-Critical, Enterprise-Level Application: Are We There Yet?
April 1, 2008
A session at the EDUCAUSE Western Regional Conference 2008
The open source learning management system has gradually reached maturity. In this session, we will share ideas and lessons learned about making open source LMS enterprise-ready. Currently SFSU has…
- Campus Computing 2011: The National Survey of E-Learning and Information Technology in American Higher Education
October 20, 2011
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2011 Annual Conference
Begun in 1990, the Campus Computing Project is the largest continuing study of the role of computing, e-learning, and information technology in U.S. higher education. This session will present the …
- Implementing, Supporting, and Maintaining Sakai
October 25, 2007
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2007 Annual Conference
Learn how Indiana University has successfully implemented the world's largest installation of the Sakai open source collaborative learning environment on eight campuses statewide. This present…
- New ELI 7 Things... Explores LMS Evaluation
May 12, 2011
At many institutions, the current LMS is five or more years old.In that time, the teaching and learning context might have changed considerably, and other products, including open-source op…
- Open Source Software in Education
May 5, 2008
Â© 2008 Shaheen E. Lakhan and Kavita Jhunjhunwala. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-…
- Reconsidering the Learning Management System - Furniture provided by Herman Miller, An EDUCAUSE Silver Partner
February 15, 2011
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2011
From Community Source to Open Data: Leveraging the Sakai Community to Make Better Decisions Steven Lonn, Research Fellow, University of Michigan Mathieu Plourde, Project Leader, LMS, Universi…