Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- In Potential Blow to Open-Source Software, Mellon Foundation Closes Grant Program
January 6, 2010
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation is eliminating a grant program that financed a series of high-profile university software projects and merging it into another program. …
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus
August 5, 2009
The course management system has become an integral part of institutional technology and academic operations, such that institutions invest a significant amount of time and effort in identifying,…
- Open Source Software in Education
May 5, 2008
© 2008 Shaheen E. Lakhan and Kavita Jhunjhunwala. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa…
- UK Universities Love Open Source
January 1, 2006
According to a survey by Open Source Software Advisory Service (OSS Watch), open source software on campuses in the United Kingdom has moved out of the shadows and into legitimate contention with p…
- CHANGE: Migrating from a Legacy LMS to an Open-Source Moodle Platform
January 13, 2011
A session at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference 2011
What special considerations should be taken when evaluating a transition to Moodle? Why should I consider managed open source? And is the cloud the right fit for my institution? These questions rep…