Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- E-Learning [x]
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) [x]
- Open Source Software (OSS) [x]
- Open Source [x]
- Information Systems and Services (3)
- Instructional Technologies (3)
- Teaching and Learning (3)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (2)
- Blended Learning (1)
- Globalization (1)
- Institutional Management (1)
- Open Educational Resources (OER) (1)
- Openness (1)
- Organizational Issues, Teaching and Learning (1)
- Teaching and Learning Strategic Planning (1)
- Technology Selection (1)
- Vendor Selection (1)
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Critical Factors in Selecting a Course Management System for Higher Education in Ghana
February 13, 2008
Critical Factors in Selecting a Course Management System for Higher Education in Ghana © 2008 Isaiah T. Awidi. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-…
- Integrating Innovative E-Learning Systems: Challenges and Solutions from LAMS
October 11, 2006
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2006 Annual Conference
The range of innovative e-learning systems continues to grow, including those available as open-source software. The key challenge is integrating disparate systems to create a unified learning plat…
- Models of Open Educational Resources: OpenCourseWare, Sofia, and the Open Learning Initiative
October 25, 2005
This research bulletin strives to clarify the complex landscape of open educational content by exploring the distinctions, challenges, and accomplishments among programs focused on opencoursewar…