Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) [x]
- Open Source Software (OSS) [x]
- Open Source [x]
- Information Systems and Services (3)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (3)
- Instructional Technologies (3)
- Teaching and Learning (3)
- Applications (1)
- Change Management (1)
- E-Learning (1)
- Globalization (1)
- Institutional Management (1)
- Leadership (1)
- Networking and Emerging Technologies (1)
- Open Educational Resources (OER) (1)
- Openness (1)
- Teaching and Learning Strategic Planning (1)
- Technology Selection (1)
- Vendor Selection (1)
- Web 2.0 (1)
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later
August 4, 2008
© 2008 Ining Tracy Chao. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd…
- Open Source Software in Education
May 5, 2008
© 2008 Shaheen E. Lakhan and Kavita Jhunjhunwala. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa…
- Critical Factors in Selecting a Course Management System for Higher Education in Ghana
February 13, 2008
Critical Factors in Selecting a Course Management System for Higher Education in Ghana © 2008 Isaiah T. Awidi. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-…