Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Presentations
- Annual Conferences [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- .LRN: An Enterprise Open-Source Learning Management System
October 19, 2005
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2005 Annual Conference
.LRN is one of the largest international open-source projects in educational technology innovation. Backed by the .LRN Consortium, its "out-of-the-box" core capabilities include enterpris…
- An Open Source Model for Academic Content Dissemination and Pedagogical Collaboration: An Oxymoron or Just Impossible?
January 1, 2002
Good pedagogical applications develop when stimulated by sharing teaching and learning experiments and assessed critically in open discussion. The OpenCourseWare project exposes the aspects of teac…
- At the End of the Day We Will Have Given It All Away: The Convergence of Open-Source CMS and Open Courseware
October 20, 2004
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2004 Annual Conference
Modeled on the MIT Open Courseware Initiative, the Foothill-De Anza Community College District has founded Sofia (Sharing of Free Intellectual Assets), an effort that will publish open courseware f…
- Blackboard, Moodle, and Sakai
November 4, 2009
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2009 Annual Conference
Representatives of several learning management system options (Blackboard, Moodle, and Sakai) will discuss the pros and cons of adopting proprietary versus open-source solutions. Issues addressed w…
- Building Bridges with Moodle: Connecting an Institution
October 15, 2010
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference
Deploying an open-source enterprise LMS requires myriad decisions to meet the needs of different units with varied goals. A collaboratively run LMS governance structure has allowed us to achieve a …
- Campus Computing 2011: The National Survey of E-Learning and Information Technology in American Higher Education
October 20, 2011
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2011 Annual Conference
Begun in 1990, the Campus Computing Project is the largest continuing study of the role of computing, e-learning, and information technology in U.S. higher education. This session will present the …
- Closer to the Dream: Letting Pedagogy Transform Learning Management Systems
October 20, 2005
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2005 Annual Conference
Three small liberal arts colleges (Luther, St. Olaf, and Macalester) share their diverse approaches in implementing Moodle, an open-source learning management system (LMS). Using the seven elements…
- Creating Open Source: Issues, Processes, and Promises from Stanford's CourseWork CMS
January 1, 2003
CourseWork's goals included the creation of a framework to support modular learning tools developed by many schools and understanding and developing better distribution, peer, and technical su…
- Haute Software: Juggling Open-Source and Vendor Software
October 11, 2006
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2006 Annual Conference
This session will illustrate lessons learned and provide recommendations for institutions contemplating the support of open-source applications while maintaining enterprise-level vendor software. S…
- Implementing Moodle at Louisiana State University
October 30, 2008
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2008 Annual Conference
Louisiana State University replaced two existing CMS systems by implementing Moodle, an open source course management system, in spring 2008. The new open source system was customizable to meet our…