Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) [x]
- Open Source [x]
- Information Systems and Services (4)
- Instructional Technologies (4)
- Teaching and Learning (4)
- Internet and Web Applications (2)
- Network Applications (2)
- Networking and Emerging Technologies (2)
- Open Source Software (OSS) (2)
- Web 2.0 (2)
- Assessment and Evaluation (1)
- Collaborative Technologies (1)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (1)
- Learning Environments (1)
- Openness (1)
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- A New Solution for Creating Versatile Learning Environments: MyUOC (Learning Technology)
January 21, 2010
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2010
MyUOC is the new open-source online learning environment from the Open University of Catalonia (UOC) that has been designed to allow users to build their own learning environment according to their…
- Expertiza: Scalable Reviewing for Student-Authored Content
September 14, 2011
A session at the ELI 2011 Online Fall Focus Session
When multiple authors-especially student authors-collaborate to write a single work, quality control is very important. The instructor/editor rarely has time enough to review each contribution mu…
- Moodle: Taming the Wild Wild Web 2.0 (Learning Technology)
January 28, 2008
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2008
Moodle, an open source course management software, is not only a tool for communication and reflection but also a virtual learning object. Explore how students in an information-literacy course res…
- Reconsidering the Learning Management System - Furniture provided by Herman Miller, An EDUCAUSE Silver Partner
February 15, 2011
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2011
From Community Source to Open Data: Leveraging the Sakai Community to Make Better Decisions Steven Lonn, Research Fellow, University of Michigan Mathieu Plourde, Project Leader, LMS, Universi…