Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- 7 Things You Should Know About LMS Evaluation
May 11, 2011
At many institutions, the current LMS is five or more years old. In that time, the teaching and learning context might have changed considerably, and other products, including open-source o…
- A Bridge Between Blackboard and Open Source?
July 15, 2008
"Blackboard, the dominant player in course management software, has the ability to inspire devotion and, for the more fervid open-source adherents, not a little contempt. So today’s announ…
- Blackboard Customers Consider Alternatives
September 9, 2008
Open-source software for course management poses market challenge. Open-source software for course management poses market challenge. …
- Blackboard Makes a Pledge
January 1, 2007
"After months of criticism that its patent policies had the potential to squelch important education projects, Blackboard on Thursday announced a "patent pledge" under which it vowed…
- Blackboard Patents Challenged
January 1, 2006
"Open source group asked U.S. to revoke rights asserted by software giant. Sides trade charges on why compromise talks collapsed." &q…
- Blackboard vs....
January 1, 2005
Some higher education officials are wondering if in buying WebCT, did course-management giant wipe out the competition, or is open source the real competition? …
- Critical Factors in Selecting a Course Management System for Higher Education in Ghana
February 13, 2008
Critical Factors in Selecting a Course Management System for Higher Education in Ghana © 2008 Isaiah T. Awidi. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-…
- Dynamics of Supporting Sakai Through Local and Global Collaboration
May 27, 2008
This ECAR research bulletin discusses the adjustments that the Indiana University information technology organization made, and continues to make, in order to support membership in Sakai. It has …
- Education Software Firm OKs Open-source Patent Use
January 1, 2007
"Blackboard, whose software can be used to manage university courses, has taken a significant step to mollify open-source rivals who perceive a patent threat from the company." …
- In Potential Blow to Open-Source Software, Mellon Foundation Closes Grant Program
January 6, 2010
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation is eliminating a grant program that financed a series of high-profile university software projects and merging it into another program. …