Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) [x]
- Open Source [x]
- Information Systems and Services (6)
- Instructional Technologies (6)
- Teaching and Learning (6)
- Open Source Software (OSS) (4)
- Applications Development (2)
- Network Infrastructure and Equipment (1)
- Networking and Emerging Technologies (1)
- Open Systems (1)
- Support for Teaching and Learning (1)
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- An Open Source LMS for a Mission-Critical, Enterprise-Level Application: Are We There Yet?
April 1, 2008
A session at the EDUCAUSE Western Regional Conference 2008
The open source learning management system has gradually reached maturity. In this session, we will share ideas and lessons learned about making open source LMS enterprise-ready. Currently SFSU has…
- Clair Maple Memorial Address: OpenCourseWare and the Emerging Global Meta University
August 8, 2005
Global connectivity via the Internet presents many challenges and opportunities for higher education. One major opportunity is the democratizing and empowering force of openly shared educational ma…
- CMC and Whitman: Migration to Sakai and Beyond
May 9, 2007
A session at the EDUCAUSE Western Regional Conference 2007
Claremont McKenna College aims to migrate hundreds of courses and over 150 active instructors from WebCT to Sakai within a year. Whitman College has successfully completed its yearlong pilot and co…
- From Blackboard to Sakai: The Who, What, Where, and Why
February 25, 2009
A session at the EDUCAUSE Southwest Regional Conference 2009
After identifying Sakai, an open-source solution, as its next collaboration and courseware management platform, Texas State began the process of transitioning the campus to the new environment. The…
- Looking for Snake Eyes: Risk Takers' Secrets of Success
January 1, 2002
Some schools elect the "road not taken" in IT solutions. Whether abandoning Microsoft, building an OKI course-management system, or implementing an open source portal, the less-traveled p…
- The Move to Moodle
April 15, 2009
A session at the EDUCAUSE Western Regional Conference 2009
Over the past two years, Lewis & Clark College has made the move from the WebCT learning management system to Moodle. This presentation will explore both the reasons we decided to move and what…