Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- The Learning Management System Evolution, ECAR May 2014. This Spotlight focuses on data from the 2013 Core Data Service (CDS) to better understand how higher education institutions approach learning management systems (LMSs).
- Reclaiming Innovation, EDUCAUSE Review, May/June 2014. Today, innovation is increasingly conflated with hype, disruption for disruption’s sake, and outsourcing laced with a dose of austerity-driven downsizing. The authors discuss how the use of the LMS in higher education has stiffled innovation.
- Selecting a Learning Management System: Advice from an Academic Perspective, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2014. This article stresses the importance of involving all stakeholders in the selection process, offers a step-by-step guide to LMS selection, and enables readers to develop a customized list of LMS features that align with their institution's instructional and learning priorities.
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Building the Connected Learning Platform-One Brick at a Time, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2013.
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Visual Learning, Agricultural Plants of the Riverina: A New Application for Helping Veterinary Students Recognise Poisonous Plants
September 16, 2014
Students studying either animal or veterinary science at Charles Sturt University are required to be competent in recognising a range of plants that are potentially poisonous to domestic grazing …
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products
September 3, 2012
This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors. Author, Don McIntosh, includes a brief description of each product with a link to their web site. …
- Colleges Mine Data to Tailor Students' Experience
December 12, 2011
"Educators have long held that the interactions between students and professors defy simple reduction. Yet in several areas of campus life, colleges are converting the student experience in…
- The Evolving LMS Market, Part I and Part II
December 21, 2010
In this post,the author discusses what the data are telling us so far about the recent shifts in the market, describe how colleges and universities come to decide that they need to go to market f…
- The Human Element
March 29, 2010
A community college professor says he has built a learning management system with a personal touch that could solve one of distance education's most persistent problems. …
- In Potential Blow to Open-Source Software, Mellon Foundation Closes Grant Program
January 6, 2010
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation is eliminating a grant program that financed a series of high-profile university software projects and merging it into another program. …
- Insidious pedagogy: How course management systems affect teaching
October 29, 2009
Course management systems, like any other technology, have an inherent purpose implied in their design, and therefore a builtâ€“in pedagogy. Although these pedagogies are based on instructiv…
- Blackboard Settles Longstanding Patent Fight With Rival Desire2Learn
December 16, 2009
Just weeks ago Blackboard said it would appeal its patent battle against rival Desire2Learn all the way to the Supreme Court, but on Tuesday both companies announced that they have settled th…
- Open Source Learning Management Systems
December 15, 2009
The evolving technologies committee is charged with identifying and monitoring evolving technologies and their impact on higher education institutions. This submission is on Open Source Learning …
- E-Learning's 'Third Phase'
October 27, 2009
Will new partnerships between technology companies challenge Blackboard's dominance? Will new partnerships between technology companies chal…