Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
- Community [x]
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- The Learning Management System Evolution, ECAR May 2014. This Spotlight focuses on data from the 2013 Core Data Service (CDS) to better understand how higher education institutions approach learning management systems (LMSs).
- Reclaiming Innovation, EDUCAUSE Review, May/June 2014. Today, innovation is increasingly conflated with hype, disruption for disruption’s sake, and outsourcing laced with a dose of austerity-driven downsizing. The authors discuss how the use of the LMS in higher education has stiffled innovation.
- Selecting a Learning Management System: Advice from an Academic Perspective, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2014. This article stresses the importance of involving all stakeholders in the selection process, offers a step-by-step guide to LMS selection, and enables readers to develop a customized list of LMS features that align with their institution's instructional and learning priorities.
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Building the Connected Learning Platform-One Brick at a Time, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2013.
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Copyright protection and the new stakeholders in online distance education: The Playâ€™s the Thing
July 24, 2008
This paper analyses the university as an Internet intermediary in the current climate of online distance education, classifies the stakeholders associated with the university in Web course manage…
- In Lawsuit, University Asserts That Downloading Copyrighted Texts Is Fair Use
June 27, 2008
"In a closely watched copyright-infringement lawsuit, Georgia State University fired back this week at its accusers, three academic publishers that say the institution invites students to il…
- Blackboard Use Raises Copyright Concerns
January 1, 2005
"Since the Blackboard course management system was first introduced at Swarthmore in 2001 as part of a Mellon Foundation-funded pilot program, many professors have been using the system to mak…
- Easing the Copyright Challenge
January 1, 2005
The Copyright Clearance Center is launching a program to link its services with the Blackboard course management system. The center was created by Congress in the late 1970s to help businesses and …