Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
- Community [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (1)
- Policy and Law (1)
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Reclaiming Innovation, EDUCAUSE Review, May/June 2014. Today, innovation is increasingly conflated with hype, disruption for disruption’s sake, and outsourcing laced with a dose of austerity-driven downsizing. The authors discuss how the use of the LMS in higher education has stiffled innovation.
- Selecting a Learning Management System: Advice from an Academic Perspective, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2014. This article stresses the importance of involving all stakeholders in the selection process, offers a step-by-step guide to LMS selection, and enables readers to develop a customized list of LMS features that align with their institution's instructional and learning priorities.
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Building the Connected Learning Platform-One Brick at a Time, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2013.
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products
September 3, 2012
This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors. Author, Don McIntosh, includes a brief description of each product with a link to their web site. …
- The Human Element
March 29, 2010
A community college professor says he has built a learning management system with a personal touch that could solve one of distance education's most persistent problems. …
- E-Learning's 'Third Phase'
October 27, 2009
Will new partnerships between technology companies challenge Blackboard's dominance? Will new partnerships between technology companies chal…
- A critical examination of Blackboardâ€™s eâ€“learning environment
June 1, 2009
Blackboardâ€™s eâ€“learning system dominates the online learning software market. In this essay I critically examine the structure of Blackboardâ€™s two online learning delivery sy…
- e-Learning and Instructional Support Learning Management Systems Policy
July 26, 2007
Oakland University's LMS policy on support and users of Moodle and other online learning management software. Oakland University's LMS…
- Copyright protection and the new stakeholders in online distance education: The Playâ€™s the Thing
July 24, 2008
This paper analyses the university as an Internet intermediary in the current climate of online distance education, classifies the stakeholders associated with the university in Web course manage…
- Using Studentsâ€™ Experiences to Derive Quality in an e-Learning System: An Institutionâ€™s Perspective
July 2, 2007
Higher education institutions undertake a range of approaches to evaluating and making judgments about the quality of their e-learning provision. This paper begins by exploring benchmarking as o…
- LAMS @ Macquarie
January 1, 2006
Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia has a strong record of innovation in e-learning. LAMS (the Learning Activity Management System) is a new generation of e-learning software based on the c…
- Scavenger Hunt Enhances Students' Utilization of Blackboard
January 1, 2006
Distance education courses present some unique challenges for both students and instructors. One of the first challenges students experience occurs when they try to navigate through the technology…
- Technology in Support of Learning and Teaching
January 1, 2002
This spring 2002 conference on Technology in Support of Learning and Teaching includes multimedia presentations on various teaching, learning and technology issues. …