Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
- Community [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- The Human Element
March 29, 2010
A community college professor says he has built a learning management system with a personal touch that could solve one of distance education's most persistent problems. …
- Course Views: A Scalable Approach to Providing Course-Based Access to Library Resources
March 30, 2009
The NCSU Libraries’ Course Views project, along with a locally developed widget web service, improves course-based access to library collections and services by dynamically generating library c…
- Using technology in teaching and learning: Resources to help you navigate a digital world
February 21, 2007
The author provides a long and comprehensive list of resources concerning teaching and learning with technology. The author provides a long and c…
- Shared CMS Hosting Services in Ohio: Year One
January 1, 2005
To encourage shared infrastructure, the Ohio Board of Regents funded a partnership among the Ohio Digital Commons for Education (ODCE), the University of Cincinnati (UC) and Kent State University (…
- Managing Storage on Your LMS: Learning Objects
January 1, 2004
As the acceptance and utility of learning management systems grows, so does the need to store their digital content. Waiting for the next advance in storage technology is not enough—storage manag…
- Digital Library Repositories and Instructional Support Systems
January 1, 2004
This project briefing is from the CNI spring 2004 meeting. The past decade has seen the simultaneous growth of large-scale digital library collections and of widely deployed course management sys…