Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Books and Monographs [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Institutional Management [x]
- Learning Environments [x]
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) [x]
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (2)
- Instructional Technologies (2)
- Teaching and Learning (2)
- Teaching (2)
- Analytics (1)
- Assessment and Evaluation (1)
- Competency-based Learning (1)
- Curriculum Development (1)
- E-Learning (1)
- Instructional Design (1)
- Learning Analytics (1)
- Learning (1)
- Outcomes Assessment (1)
- Student Engagement and Interaction (1)
- Student Learning Support (1)
- Student Success (1)
- Teaching with Technology (1)
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Chapter 15: The Open Learning Initiative: Enacting Instruction Online
May 2, 2012
A chapter from Game Changers Ross Strader and Candace Thille This chapter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License New technologies are oft…
- Chapter 13: Providing Quality Higher Education for Adults
May 2, 2012
A chapter from Game Changers Susan C. Aldridge University of Maryland University College (UMUC) first opened its classrooms in 1947 as a special college at the University of Marylan…