Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- The Learning Management System Evolution, ECAR May 2014. This Spotlight focuses on data from the 2013 Core Data Service (CDS) to better understand how higher education institutions approach learning management systems (LMSs).
- Reclaiming Innovation, EDUCAUSE Review, May/June 2014. Today, innovation is increasingly conflated with hype, disruption for disruption’s sake, and outsourcing laced with a dose of austerity-driven downsizing. The authors discuss how the use of the LMS in higher education has stiffled innovation.
- Selecting a Learning Management System: Advice from an Academic Perspective, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2014. This article stresses the importance of involving all stakeholders in the selection process, offers a step-by-step guide to LMS selection, and enables readers to develop a customized list of LMS features that align with their institution's instructional and learning priorities.
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Building the Connected Learning Platform-One Brick at a Time, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2013.
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Brandeis University 2015 Disaster Recovery Tabletop Exercise Plan (ExPlan)
September 3, 2015
All organizations experience unexpected and unwanted disruptions to their day-to-day operations. Too often organizations view an IT emergency as something solely handled by their IT unit. However…
- IT Accessibility Risk Statements and Evidence
July 31, 2015
This document was created by the EDUCAUSE IT Accessibility Constituent Group to help identify accessibility risks that IT leaders should consider in their risk management process. …
- Benchmarking IT: A Global Approach
July 21, 2015
In order to facilitate cross-border comparisons appropriate for the global higher education business, it is necessary to have a way of comparing individual institutions with peers to start a conv…
- Maximizing Competency Education and Blended Learning: Insights from Experts
March 1, 2015
Written by Susan Patrick and Chris Sturgis. CompetencyWorks Issue Brief. In May 2014, CompetencyWorks brought together twenty-three technical assistance providers to examine their catalytic ro…
- Inside Mastery Based High Schools: Profiles and Conversations
March 23, 2015
"We began this project to address a need for concrete examples of mastery-based learning in practice. Given the novelty of this work, we realized that many new school designers know the theo…
- Where Should You Keep Your Data?
June 25, 2015
"Formal policies on information storage are finally beginning to emerge from federal grant agencies. Federal funding agencies have made it clear that grant proposals must include plans for s…
- Third-Party Security Awareness Training Tools
June 17, 2015
Learn more about third-party security awareness training tools, who might use these tools and why, as well as the benefits and risks to consider when using these tools. This resource also include…
- Early Progress: Interim Report on Personalized Learning
November 1, 2014
The interim findings from an ongoing study of schools using personalized learning practices are promising; students are making significantly greater gains in math and reading over the last two ye…
- 2015 ACUTA/NACUBO State of Resnet Report
April 20, 2015
The 2015 report is a comprehensive survey designed to measure the broad variation in practice and policy within higher education and lay the groundwork for long-term trend analysis and benchmarki…
- IT Governance Process and Structure
April 3, 2015
These are IT Governance and IT Organizational Structure resources for the University of Minnesota, including a description of the IT governance process. …