Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Books and Monographs [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- The Learning Management System Evolution, ECAR May 2014. This Spotlight focuses on data from the 2013 Core Data Service (CDS) to better understand how higher education institutions approach learning management systems (LMSs).
- Reclaiming Innovation, EDUCAUSE Review, May/June 2014. Today, innovation is increasingly conflated with hype, disruption for disruption’s sake, and outsourcing laced with a dose of austerity-driven downsizing. The authors discuss how the use of the LMS in higher education has stiffled innovation.
- Selecting a Learning Management System: Advice from an Academic Perspective, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2014. This article stresses the importance of involving all stakeholders in the selection process, offers a step-by-step guide to LMS selection, and enables readers to develop a customized list of LMS features that align with their institution's instructional and learning priorities.
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Building the Connected Learning Platform-One Brick at a Time, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2013.
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Case Study 21: Shaping the Path to Digital: The Indiana University eTexts Initiative
May 2, 2012
A case study from Game Changers Brad Wheeler and Nik Osborne This chapter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License Introduction The risi…
- Case Study 9: The Open University of Hong Kong: The i-Counseling System
May 2, 2012
A case study from Game Changers Chun Ming Leung and Eva Tsang This chapter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License Need/Rati…
- Opening Up Education: The Collective Advancement of Education through Open Technology, Open Content, and Open Knowledge
September 16, 2008
Given the abundance of open education initiatives that aim to make educational assets freely available online, the time seems ripe to explore the potential of open education to transform the econ…
- Net Generation Students and Libraries
January 1, 2005
In this chapter from "Educating the Net Generation", Joan Lippincott of the Coalition of Networked Information challenges us to realign library programs, services, and spaces with the Net…
- The Internet and the University: 2003 Forum
January 1, 2004
The Internet and the University: Forum 2003 includes the papers presented and discussed at the Forum on the Internet and the University, held during the Forum's 2003 Aspen Symposium. The Int…
- Technology Everywhere: A Campus Agenda for Educating and Managing Workers in the Digital Age
January 1, 2002
Technology Everywhere addresses the dual role played by colleges and universities that must recruit, hire, and train knowledge worker professionals and educate IT learners to manage the ever …
- Information Alchemy: The Art and Science of Knowledge Management
January 1, 2000
Written for university presidents, college deans, program directors, and other leaders in higher education, this volume presents a foundational introduction to knowledge management and its growin…
- The Mirage of Continuity: Reconfiguring Academic Information Resources for the 21st Century
January 1, 1998
This book of essays, which CLIR is publishing in partnership with the Association of American Universities, comes to grips with the profound, and indeed transforming, changes technology will effe…