Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Effective Practices [x]
Filter by Publications
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- A Quality Scorecard for the Administration of Online Education Programs
October 5, 2010
As the demands for public accountability increase for the higher education industry, institutions are seeking methods for continuous improvement in which they may demonstrate the level of quality…
- Helping Kentuckians Participate in the New Economy: KYVAE, the Kentucky Virtual Adult Education Portal
January 1, 2004
Adult illiteracy is a serious problem in Kentucky with far-reaching effects. One in four Kentuckians age 25 or older has not obtained a high school diploma or GED, and nearly 1 million of the 2.4…
- Play It Again, Sam!: Online Courses and Materials
January 1, 2004
Montgomery County Community College has a breadth of students with a wide range of learning abilities, styles, and needs. Some students have difficulty keeping up and remaining engaged while taki…
- LAMS @ Macquarie
January 1, 2006
Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia has a strong record of innovation in e-learning. LAMS (the Learning Activity Management System) is a new generation of e-learning software based on the c…
- Accessibility Compliance in Distance Learning: Barrier-Free Multimedia
January 1, 2007
The Western Kentucky University (WKU) Office of Distance Learning was created in 2000 to provide faculty teaching online courses with resources to improve the content of their courses. In 2003, …