Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Effective Practices [x]
Filter by Publications
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- "Caught in the Act" Raising Student Awareness of Safe Computing Practices
January 1, 2004
In the past three years, computer security incidents at higher education institutions have increased tremendously, and the University of Buffalo (UB) is no exception. Students have lost UB IT acc…
- HIPAA Security Assessment
January 1, 2004
The Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) assessment tool was developed based on initial work by the North Carolina Health and Human Services (NCHHS) office. The NCHHS HIPAA S…
- E-Commerce and the Cardholder Information Security Program (CISP)
January 1, 2005
This submission provides basic information important for universities that sell products or services online and collect fees via credit card. The approach is meant to help institutions of higher …
- iPods + iTunes + Faculty = iTunes U at Fairfield University
January 1, 2006
Fairfield University has helped faculty incorporate audio and video technology into their curricula to make their content available to students in a digital format. Teaming up with Apple Computer…
- Accessibility Compliance in Distance Learning: Barrier-Free Multimedia
January 1, 2007
The Western Kentucky University (WKU) Office of Distance Learning was created in 2000 to provide faculty teaching online courses with resources to improve the content of their courses. In 2003, …