Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus
August 5, 2009
The course management system has become an integral part of institutional technology and academic operations, such that institutions invest a significant amount of time and effort in identifying,…
- Navigo Project: An OKI Course Management Assessment Engine
January 1, 2003
We will outline the collaborative efforts of Indiana University, University of Michigan, and Stanford University to develop a next-generation assessment engine based on the OKI programming interfac…
- The Open Knowledge Initiative
January 1, 2002
The Open Knowledge Initiative presents an open specification for the development of educational applications and course management environments. This session will introduce the OKI architecture thr…
- Looking for Snake Eyes: Risk Takers' Secrets of Success
January 1, 2002
Some schools elect the "road not taken" in IT solutions. Whether abandoning Microsoft, building an OKI course-management system, or implementing an open source portal, the less-traveled p…
- CHANGE: Migrating from a Legacy LMS to an Open-Source Moodle Platform
January 13, 2011
A session at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference 2011
What special considerations should be taken when evaluating a transition to Moodle? Why should I consider managed open source? And is the cloud the right fit for my institution? These questions rep…
- Robin Bartoletti
Texas Woman's University