Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Reclaiming Innovation, EDUCAUSE Review, May/June 2014. Today, innovation is increasingly conflated with hype, disruption for disruption’s sake, and outsourcing laced with a dose of austerity-driven downsizing. The authors discuss how the use of the LMS in higher education has stiffled innovation.
- Selecting a Learning Management System: Advice from an Academic Perspective, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2014. This article stresses the importance of involving all stakeholders in the selection process, offers a step-by-step guide to LMS selection, and enables readers to develop a customized list of LMS features that align with their institution's instructional and learning priorities.
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Building the Connected Learning Platform-One Brick at a Time, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2013.
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- A Gripe Session at Blackboard
July 16, 2009
At annual users conference, a "listening session" features more complaints than executives had time for. Customer service faulted by many. …
- Colleges Consider Using Blogs Instead of Blackboard
June 2, 2009
Professors at CUNY debate the pros and cons after enduring technical problems with the course-management system. Professors at CUNY debate the pr…
- A critical examination of Blackboardâ€™s eâ€“learning environment
June 1, 2009
Blackboardâ€™s eâ€“learning system dominates the online learning software market. In this essay I critically examine the structure of Blackboardâ€™s two online learning delivery sy…
- Blackboard Buys Angel
May 7, 2009
Purchase of rival that was making inroads in course management systems shakes up the market. Can the industry leader learn from the up-and-comer? …
- Course Views: A Scalable Approach to Providing Course-Based Access to Library Resources
March 30, 2009
The NCSU Librariesâ€™ Course Views project, along with a locally developed widget web service, improves course-based access to library collections and services by dynamically generating libr…
- Blackboard Customers Consider Alternatives
September 9, 2008
Open-source software for course management poses market challenge. Open-source software for course management poses market challenge. …
- e-Learning and Instructional Support Learning Management Systems Policy
July 26, 2007
Oakland University's LMS policy on support and users of Moodle and other online learning management software. Oakland University's LMS…
- Copyright protection and the new stakeholders in online distance education: The Playâ€™s the Thing
July 24, 2008
This paper analyses the university as an Internet intermediary in the current climate of online distance education, classifies the stakeholders associated with the university in Web course manage…
- A Bridge Between Blackboard and Open Source?
July 15, 2008
"Blackboard, the dominant player in course management software, has the ability to inspire devotion and, for the more fervid open-source adherents, not a little contempt. So today’s announ…
- In Lawsuit, University Asserts That Downloading Copyrighted Texts Is Fair Use
June 27, 2008
"In a closely watched copyright-infringement lawsuit, Georgia State University fired back this week at its accusers, three academic publishers that say the institution invites students to il…