Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- On the Curation of Instructional Content
October 7, 2013
Jim Phillips (firstname.lastname@example.org) is Director of Learning Technologies at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC). Higher education institutions are prodigious content produc…
- A New Architecture for Learning
October 7, 2013
If we are to support students and faculty as connected learners and instructors, we must rethink our approach to academic technology architecture. At the foundation and core of that architectu…
- Thought Leadership in Action at Drexel University
October 7, 2013
Key Takeaways To achieve its goal of making IT the foundation for all academic and administrative efforts, Drexel's IT leadership realized that it needed to move from a part…
- 7 Things You Should Know About LTI
August 2, 2013
Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) is an open specification from the IMS Global Learning Consortium that is designed to enable plug-and-play integration of educational applications…
- ELI Podcast: Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI)
August 8, 2013
Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) is an open specification from the IMS Global Learning Consortium designed to enable plug-and-play integration of educational applications into a campus…
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success
July 9, 2013
As provost of a regional university, Tristan Denley has pioneered initiatives employing predictive analytics and choice architecture to improve college completion and students' academic succ…
- Joyce Valent
Manager, Training and Development
- Schoology: The Next Generation Learning Platform
February 4, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Annual Meeting
The time has come for a major redesign of learning environment tools for classroom and online learning. Until now the design of Learning Management Systems has focused primarily on the "mana…
- The State of E-Learning in Higher Education: An Eye Toward Growth and Increased Access
June 21, 2013
Key Findings Nearly all institutions have a major interest in e-learning, at least at the level of some departments. Online courses are ubiquitous, with over 80% of institutions offerin…
- Improved Learning Outcomes through a Multimodal Text
September 4, 2013
Key Takeaways In a lab research study at Ball State University, Vizi Courseware's multimodal texts significantly improved student performance over traditional texts. In c…