Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- ELI Podcast: Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI)
August 8, 2013
Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) is an open specification from the IMS Global Learning Consortium designed to enable plug-and-play integration of educational applications into a campus…
- The State of E-Learning in Higher Education: An Eye Toward Growth and Increased Access
June 21, 2013
Key Findings Nearly all institutions have a major interest in e-learning, at least at the level of some departments. Online courses are ubiquitous, with over 80% of institutions offerin…
- Improved Learning Outcomes through a Multimodal Text
September 4, 2013
Key Takeaways In a lab research study at Ball State University, Vizi Courseware's multimodal texts significantly improved student performance over traditional texts. In c…
- Learning in the Public Sphere: The Pedagogy of LMSs and MOOCs
October 18, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
With social learning poised to dominate education technology development over the next few years, we will revisit the social media theories surrounding the public sphere and how the behavior of t…
- Learning Management Systems (LMS)
Learning Management Systems (LMS) True Selecting and purc…
- Personalizing Analytics through the Education and Career Positioning System
August 5, 2013
Key Takeaways Lone Star College System offers an integrated Education and Career Positioning System that lets students, faculty, advisors, and parents simulate, navigate, validate,…
- Using Analytics at UMBC: Encouraging Student Responsibility and Identifying Effective Course Designs
April 30, 2013
Higher education invests considerable resources into technology for academic purposes, but understanding whether those instructional technologies improve learning is often a difficult questio…
- Reimagining Learning Tools for Qualitative Research
June 3, 2013
Key Takeaways A powerful collaborative tool helps new and experienced teams of researchers navigate the discipline-specific, complex processes involved in qualitative researc…
- An Electronic Calendar for Organizing Assessments in a Large Faculty
April 1, 2013
Key Takeaways Using data from an electronic unit of study outline system , the University of Sydney's Faculty of Science built an assessment calendar to organize assessment…
- Blazing the Trail in Texas: Work in Progress on the Texas Affordable Baccalaureate
April 25, 2013
“What we’re talking about is a different satisfactory academic progress model than most of you are used to,” said project leader Van Davis to a large group of faculty from the two Tex…