Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) [x]
- Open Source [x]
- Information Systems and Services (62)
- Instructional Technologies (62)
- Teaching and Learning (62)
- Open Source Software (OSS) (40)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (16)
- Applications (10)
- Policy and Law (9)
- Federal Policy and Law (8)
- E-Learning (7)
- Intellectual Property (7)
- Networking and Emerging Technologies (6)
- Technology Selection (6)
- Open Systems (5)
- Patents (5)
- Vendor Selection (4)
- Collaboration (3)
- Openness (3)
- Web 2.0 (3)
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Blackboard Customers Consider Alternatives
September 9, 2008
Open-source software for course management poses market challenge. Open-source software for course management poses market challenge. …
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later
August 4, 2008
© 2008 Ining Tracy Chao. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd…
- A Bridge Between Blackboard and Open Source?
July 15, 2008
"Blackboard, the dominant player in course management software, has the ability to inspire devotion and, for the more fervid open-source adherents, not a little contempt. So today’s announ…
- Large-Scale Open Source E-Learning Systems at Open University UK
June 10, 2008
This ECAR research bulletin examines the factors leading to the selection of the open source learning management system at the Open University, details the many aspects of development work that h…
- Dynamics of Supporting Sakai Through Local and Global Collaboration
May 27, 2008
This ECAR research bulletin discusses the adjustments that the Indiana University information technology organization made, and continues to make, in order to support membership in Sakai. It has …
- Open Source Software in Education
May 5, 2008
© 2008 Shaheen E. Lakhan and Kavita Jhunjhunwala. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa…
- An Open Source LMS for a Mission-Critical, Enterprise-Level Application: Are We There Yet?
April 1, 2008
A session at the EDUCAUSE Western Regional Conference 2008
The open source learning management system has gradually reached maturity. In this session, we will share ideas and lessons learned about making open source LMS enterprise-ready. Currently SFSU has…
- An Outsourced Open Source LMS and a Pot of Gold?
March 11, 2008
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference 2008
Like many WebCT campuses, SUNY Delhi must select a new LMS and complete migrating to the new system in the next year. The total cost of ownership comparison led us to adopt a remotely hosted open s…
- Traversing the LMS terrain
October 15, 2007
With the emergence of strong open source contenders in the Learning Management System (LMS) arena, many schools are evaluating whether to stay with one of the commercial LMS products such as B…
- Moodle: Taming the Wild Wild Web 2.0 (Learning Technology)
January 28, 2008
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2008
Moodle, an open source course management software, is not only a tool for communication and reflection but also a virtual learning object. Explore how students in an information-literacy course res…