Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Top-Ten Challenges of the Academic Technology Community
January 1, 2007
In the past couple of years, teaching and learning has fallen from the CIO's top-ten list. This session will examine today's top-ten most pressing challenges within teaching and learnin…
- Out of the Cabbage Patch
January 1, 2007
© 2007 Gary Brown. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ ). EDUCAUSE Review, vol. …
- Uniting Technology and Pedagogy: The Evolution of an Online Teaching Certification Course
January 1, 2006
Uniting Technology and Pedagogy: The Evolution of an Online Teaching Certification Course Going online with a certification course for online teaching solved training and delivery problems on …
- Electronic Courseware in Higher Education
January 1, 2005
The rising costs of education often lead to the call for a change from the traditional, space–and–time bound institutions to ones that offer increasingly cost–effective, technologically enhan…
- Course Management System Utilization and Implications for Practice: A National Survey of Department Chairpersons
January 1, 2004
To what degree has the emergence and development of CMS led to improved teaching and learning? More importantly, to what degree has CMS utilization contributed to student engagement, student learni…
- Adaptive Learning Technologies: From One-Size-Fits-All to Adaptive Individualization
March 29, 2005
This research bulletin addresses how technology systems support online learning in ways that address multiple learning style preferences, paces, and performance goals. It discusses the need for a…
- Reengineering Curricula for Tomorrow's Students
January 1, 2004
To prepare faculty for tomorrow's students, Drexel University is developing the Drexel Institute for Academic Transformation. Using technology and sound pedagogical principles, faculty will le…
- Improving Learning and Reducing Costs: The Program in Course Redesign
November 20, 2003
This presentation on Improving Learning and Reducing Costs: The Program in Course Redesign was presented at the November 2003 ECAR Symposium. Thi…
- NLII Spring 2003 Focus Session: Next-Generation Course Management Systems
January 1, 2003
This article describes the NLII 2003 Spring Focus Session, Next-Generation Course Management Systems, which took place in Tucson, Arizona on March 7, 2003. …
- CMS Implementation as a Catalyst for Curricular Change
January 1, 2003
At Duke University, the adoption of a course management system has provided a common framework for discussing the integration of technology into teaching and learning, leading to concrete curricula…