Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- An Electronic Calendar for Organizing Assessments in a Large Faculty
April 1, 2013
Key Takeaways Using data from an electronic unit of study outline system , the University of Sydney's Faculty of Science built an assessment calendar to organize assessment…
- Collaboration Enables Next-Generation Digital Learning
March 27, 2013
By Rob Abel , Marwin Britto , Patrick Masson , and John Johnston The growing emergence of digital devices, learning platforms, and applications promises easier access to a varie…
- Developing a Faculty Resource Center in the Blackboard LMS
February 4, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Annual Meeting
The University of Texas at Arlington has experienced extensive growth in its online courses over the past five years. As more colleges at the university offer programs in the Blackboard LMS, facu…
- The Annual ECAR Student and IT Study
November 12, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - The Annual ECAR Student and IT Study
The EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) conducts an annual study about undergraduates' technology experiences and expectations in higher education. The results of this study pro…
- 2012 CDS Executive Summary Report
January 24, 2013
This report summarizes results from the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service (CDS) survey. Using a matched set of 616 CDS 2011 and CDS 2012 participating institutions, this year’s report is a detaile…
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics
February 25, 2013
Optimizing student success is the “killer app” for analytics in higher education . Intelligent investments in optimizing student success garner wide support and have a strong, justifia…
- Classroom and Instructional Technology
December 18, 2012
This CDS Spotlight focuses on survey results related to classroom technology . Creating effective learning environments in higher education classrooms with technology poses an ongoing challe…
- Education Achievement Authority: Nolan Elementary-Middle School
November 28, 2012
Updated November 2013 Charged by the governor of Michigan to transform the lowest five percent of the persistently lowest achieving schools in the state while simultaneously developing a…
- Ameritas College Educational Services, LLC
November 28, 2012
Ameritas College is building upon Brandman University’s high quality and affordable blended learning Dual Language English Immersion (DLEI) degree program to create a 100% online progra…
- Altius Education’s Ivy Bridge College
November 28, 2012
Updated January 2014 With NGLC grant funding awarded in 2012, Altius Education intended to build a robust data-gathering and analytics capability in their Helix learning platform and de…