Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- The Learning Management System Evolution, ECAR May 2014. This Spotlight focuses on data from the 2013 Core Data Service (CDS) to better understand how higher education institutions approach learning management systems (LMSs).
- Reclaiming Innovation, EDUCAUSE Review, May/June 2014. Today, innovation is increasingly conflated with hype, disruption for disruption’s sake, and outsourcing laced with a dose of austerity-driven downsizing. The authors discuss how the use of the LMS in higher education has stiffled innovation.
- Selecting a Learning Management System: Advice from an Academic Perspective, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2014. This article stresses the importance of involving all stakeholders in the selection process, offers a step-by-step guide to LMS selection, and enables readers to develop a customized list of LMS features that align with their institution's instructional and learning priorities.
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Building the Connected Learning Platform-One Brick at a Time, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2013.
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Course Management Systems: Today and Tomorrow
January 1, 2001
This is an audio transcript of a conversation with two CMS experts. In a matter of years, course management systems have grown from concept to reality. Serge Goldstein, of Princeton University, an…
- From Place to Space: Perspectives on Web Course Management Software Support
January 1, 2000
Panelists from three technology-oriented universities (Florida, Indiana, and Wake Forest) discussed lessons learned in supporting commercial (WebCT and CourseInfo) and home-grown (Oncourse) Web cou…
- The Semester Book - A Web Tool for Faculty and Students
January 1, 1999
In its efforts to deliver meaningful services and information via the web, the Enterprise Solutions Group within the Office of Computing Services at LSU has developed a grade book application offer…
- EDUCAUSE2006 Podcast: Using CMS as Early Warning System
March 17, 2007
In this 41-minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, we'll hear from John Campbell, Lukas Leftwich, and Stephen Wanger in a session entitled Student Persistence: Using th…
- E2006 Podcast: How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation
January 24, 2007
In this 44 minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference Session, we’ll hear from Catheryn Cheal, Randal Cummings, Kathy Fernandez, and Michael Penney in a session entitled, “Ch…
- An Interview with Ed Meachen
December 18, 2006
In this 12 minute recording, we'll hear from Ed Meachen about work on educational gaming, patents, and more. See also: An Interview with Kurt Squire An Interview wi…
- An Interview with Rob Abel
October 26, 2006
In this 26 minute recording, we'll hear from Rob Abel , CEO of the IMS Global Learning Consortium. Listen in as Marliu Goodyear hosts a discussion about standards, course packs and mor…
- Transitions: Stories of Strategic LMS Changes
January 17, 2013
A session at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference
Changing a learning management system is no small task. This session will explore recent strategic LMS changes at Drexel University and the University of Maryland. Motivated by a goal to have a s…
- Student Engagement through Online Commenting and Discussion
October 2, 2012
A session at the ELI 2012 Online Fall Focus Session
NowComment, a free high-end tool for discussion and close reading of online documents, has been used successfully at UVA (Sakai) and other universities for the past three years. This presentation…
- The Quest for a University-Wide Digital Content Management Solution
November 8, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
The storage and sharing of institutional data, all tagged by metadata like learning outcomes, is an increasing challenge due to the number and types of learning assets created by a university com…