Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- The Learning Management System Evolution, ECAR May 2014. This Spotlight focuses on data from the 2013 Core Data Service (CDS) to better understand how higher education institutions approach learning management systems (LMSs).
- Reclaiming Innovation, EDUCAUSE Review, May/June 2014. Today, innovation is increasingly conflated with hype, disruption for disruption’s sake, and outsourcing laced with a dose of austerity-driven downsizing. The authors discuss how the use of the LMS in higher education has stiffled innovation.
- Selecting a Learning Management System: Advice from an Academic Perspective, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2014. This article stresses the importance of involving all stakeholders in the selection process, offers a step-by-step guide to LMS selection, and enables readers to develop a customized list of LMS features that align with their institution's instructional and learning priorities.
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Building the Connected Learning Platform-One Brick at a Time, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2013.
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- On the Curation of Instructional Content
October 7, 2013
Jim Phillips (email@example.com) is Director of Learning Technologies at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC). Higher education institutions are prodigious content produc…
- Teaching and Learning: 2014 in Retrospect, 2015 in Prospect
December 8, 2014
A session at the Teaching and Learning: 2014 in Retrospect, 2015 in Prospect
The past year has been an eventful one for teaching and learning in higher education. There have been developments in all areas, including analytics, the LMS, online education, and learning space…
- A New Architecture for Learning
October 7, 2013
If we are to support students and faculty as connected learners and instructors, we must rethink our approach to academic technology architecture. At the foundation and core of that architectu…
- Streaming Media Inside the LMS and Beyond: Video and Media Management for Online Learning
February 11, 2015
A session at the ELI Virtual Annual Meeting 2015
Adoption of video and audio content by higher education has skyrocketed, driven by the emergence of MOOCs, blended and fully online programs, and flipped classrooms, where streaming media plays a…
- Thought Leadership in Action at Drexel University
October 7, 2013
Key Takeaways To achieve its goal of making IT the foundation for all academic and administrative efforts, Drexel's IT leadership realized that it needed to move from a part…
- 7 Things You Should Know About LTI
August 2, 2013
Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) is an open specification from the IMS Global Learning Consortium that is designed to enable plug-and-play integration of educational applications…
- How College for America's Competency-Based Program and Custom-Built LMS Keep the Focus on Learning
September 22, 2014
A session at the ELI Webinar - How College for America's Competency-Based Program and Custom-Built LMS Keep the Focus on Learning
Join Malcolm Brown, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative director, and Veronica Diaz, ELI associate director, as they moderate this webinar with Yvonne Simon, chief learning architect at College for Amer…
- Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Student Success
July 9, 2013
As provost of a regional university, Tristan Denley has pioneered initiatives employing predictive analytics and choice architecture to improve college completion and students' academic succ…
- ELI Podcast: Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI)
August 8, 2013
Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) is an open specification from the IMS Global Learning Consortium designed to enable plug-and-play integration of educational applications into a campus…
- The State of E-Learning in Higher Education: An Eye Toward Growth and Increased Access
June 21, 2013
Key Findings Nearly all institutions have a major interest in e-learning, at least at the level of some departments. Online courses are ubiquitous, with over 80% of institutions offerin…