Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- The Learning Management System Evolution, ECAR May 2014. This Spotlight focuses on data from the 2013 Core Data Service (CDS) to better understand how higher education institutions approach learning management systems (LMSs).
- Reclaiming Innovation, EDUCAUSE Review, May/June 2014. Today, innovation is increasingly conflated with hype, disruption for disruption’s sake, and outsourcing laced with a dose of austerity-driven downsizing. The authors discuss how the use of the LMS in higher education has stiffled innovation.
- Selecting a Learning Management System: Advice from an Academic Perspective, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2014. This article stresses the importance of involving all stakeholders in the selection process, offers a step-by-step guide to LMS selection, and enables readers to develop a customized list of LMS features that align with their institution's instructional and learning priorities.
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Building the Connected Learning Platform-One Brick at a Time, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2013.
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Chapter 2: The Questions We Need to Ask First: Setting Priorities for Higher Education in Our Technology-Rich World
May 2, 2012
A chapter from Game Changers Debra Humphreys New technologies—and particularly new information technologies—are dramatically changing higher education institutions and practices…
- Chapter 1: The Knowledge Economy: Challenges and Opportunities for American Higher Education
May 2, 2012
A chapter from Game Changers Paul E. Lingenfelter The late Peter Drucker apparently first used the phrase "the knowledge economy" in his 1969 book The Age of Discontinui…
May 2, 2012
From Game Changers Diana G. Oblinger This book is dedicated to education. We need more education, deeper education, more effective education, more access to education, and more affo…
May 2, 2012
From Game Changers Among the many strengths of higher education, the ones most frequently mentioned are the roles played by its mission that yield value to society and help create the futu…
- Game Changers: Education and Information Technologies
May 2, 2012
How can we reach more learners, more effectively, and with greater impact? Education changes lives and societies, but can we sustain the current model? New models and new technologies a…
- Planning for Big Data A CIO's Handbook to the Changing Data Landscape
April 4, 2012
In an age where everything is measurable, understanding big data is an essential. From creating new data-driven products through to increasing operational efficiency, big data has the pote…
- Successful Strategic Planning for Your Lecture Capture Initiative
September 13, 2010
The author has developed a list of questions to consider prior to starting a capturing lecture project on a campus. The author has developed a li…
- Greening IT: How Greener IT Can Form a Solid Base For a Low-Carbon Society
August 23, 2010
The Greening of IT is a symptom of a much larger challenge for humankind - transitioning from economic childhood into maturity. Despite the emergence of large regional alliances such as the EC, h…
- The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind
December 10, 2008
James Boyle introduces readers to the idea of the public domain and describes how it is being tragically eroded by our current copyright, patent, and trademark laws. In a series of fascinating ca…
- The Tower and the Cloud: Higher Education in the Age of Cloud Computing
October 20, 2008
The emergence of the networked information economy is unleashing two powerful forces. On one hand, easy access to high-speed networks is empowering individuals. People can now discover and consum…