Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Chapter 4: From Metrics to Analytics, Reporting to Action: Analytics’ Role in Changing the Learning Environment
May 2, 2012
A chapter from Game Changers Linda Baer and John Campbell This chapter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License What will the game-changing…
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects
March 19, 2012
If information technologies are to transform higher education, we must exploit opportunities and address problems. At the same time, transformed higher education cannot neglect important dimensi…
- Connecting Two Worlds: Collaboration between Higher Education and Corporate Learning
March 21, 2012
Elliott Masie ( email@example.com ; http://www.masie.com ) is the chair of The Learning CONSORTIUM, a 242-member collaborative of global corporations focused on workplace learning and tech…
- Student Perceptions of Course Management System Tools: Implications for Evaluation and Adoption of Online Tools in Higher Education
February 28, 2012
Given an expectation of digital literacy among students, why should we worry about student perceptions of CMS tools ? For the same reason exemplary instructors stay aware of their students’ …
- ELI Online Spring Focus Session: View Program, Register Now
March 30, 2012
Program details are now available for the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI) 2012 Online Spring Focus Session, " Learning Analytics ," April11 and 12. Join us for thi…
- The EDUCAUSE 2011 Core Data Service Report: Highlights and Insights into Higher Education Information Technology
January 31, 2012
Authors: Susan Grajek , Vice President for Data, Research, and Analytics, EDUCAUSE Pam Arroway , Senior Statistician, EDUCAUSE This report summarizes results from the 2011 EDUCAU…
- A Post-LMS World
January 23, 2012
Lou Pugliese ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) is Chairman and CEO of Moodlerooms. He previously held several senior executive positions, including Founding CEO of Blackboard and Executive…
- Colleges Mine Data to Tailor Students' Experience
December 12, 2011
"Educators have long held that the interactions between students and professors defy simple reduction. Yet in several areas of campus life, colleges are converting the student experience in…
- 7 Things You Should Know About First-Generation Learning Analytics
December 6, 2011
Learning analytics (LA) applies the model of analytics to the specific goal of improving learning outcomes. LA collects and analyzes the “digital breadcrumbs” that students leave as th…
- U-Pace: Facilitating Academic Success for All Students
December 15, 2011
Key Takeaways The U-Pace instructional approach combines self-paced, mastery-based learning with instructor-initiated Amplified Assistance in an online learning environment. …